Matt paint for garage doors?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Ali7890, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Ali7890

Ali7890 New Member

Hello! We have a steel garage door in white but we need to paint it dark brown to match the rest of the house. However, all the metal/garage door paints we have found are highly glossy. The angle of the house and the finish of the paint means that this is just waaaaay too shiny and reflective for our liking, and they haven't been terribly easy to apply either.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where we can get hold of a matt (or at least satin) paint suitable for garage doors? The only ones I've found in matt seem to be available in black, white, green or blue - I've been unable to find anything in any kind of brown, let alone a dark one.

All suggestions gratefully accepted! Many thanks.

2. decortyke

decortyke New Member

Dulux Weathershield Exterior QD Satin.

One undercoat, they do either waterbased or solvent based, followed by two coats of the satin.

Most manufacturers do exterior eggshell but this product is superb but not cheap.

3. Ali7890

Ali7890 New Member

Lovely, many thanks - I had no idea that Weathershield could be used on metal, I think because it's stored with the masonry paints at the DIY store I automatically assumed that it wasn't suitable.

4. Matt.Painter

Matt.Painter New Member

Dulux Metalshield Satin is what u need .