Max wattage in a light fixture

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by fabro, Aug 25, 2015.

1. fabro

fabro Member

I have a ceiling light rated for a maximum of 40W. I have used a 42W bulb 630 lumen (equivalent to 60W) but the light intensity still isn't enough. I was wondering if I could use a 70W if I upgrade the wiring? or is there something else I am missing? part of the light fitting is made of wood but a good 10-15cm above the bulb.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

My understanding is the heat produced, so a higher wattage more heat.

Can you not use an LED bulb, that way you can go to a higher lumen without the heat.

3. fabro

fabro Member

Just found a 18W eq to 100w 1200 lumen on amazon. just wondered if upgrading the wiring would allow for higher wattage. Some economy bulbs are ugly and the wife prefers the candle shapes...

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The maximum wattage is to protect the fitting and shade.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Phil the Paver

Are they not candle then???

Andy's right about the fitting etc, as far as I understand.

6. Phil the Paver

What fitting is the bulb???

7. fabro

fabro Member

Took a while to get it delivered and now it doesn't fit through the light fitting. The bulb is a e14 ses but I will be limited to 45mm in diameter to go through the fitting.

8. Don't worry about the wiring - that will cope with any lamp you chuck in there (within reason, of course... :rolleyes: )

As said above, it is the heat generated that determines the max rating.

And CFLs and LEDs will be much cooler. But often sadly bulkier too.

Have you tried that e14 lamp in another fitting chust to check the light output? If you have, and if it's ok, can you see any way to modify the existing holder to take it?

Eg, butchery...

Post a photo?

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

When they say max 40 watt they're assuming an incandescent lamp, you can largely disregard this if using a cfc or led type lamp.