MDPE Fitting

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by pano, Jan 21, 2017.

1. pano

pano New Member

Kindly asking for an advice, My plumber has Used MDPE fitting to separate two water mains to a two different points. the fitting is in middle of my house buried under concrete.
    My worry is that the fitting will leak. When i approached the plumber, he said this is normal practice, and these fitting is designed to go under ground.
    Your thoughts are much apreciated

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Shouldn't have anything to worry about, mdpe is designed to be buried, & installed correctly everything will be ok.
    But,I would have done it differently & put the joiner elsewhere where it was accessible.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

As Kiab says, MDPE pipe with the correct fittings and tightened up properly won't leak and is intended to be buried.

However, out of if interest - You have two water mains ? or one pipe with a T?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Also interested to know why.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Be interested to see how the stop cock works or if there is a water meter there :oops:

6. pano

pano New Member

Thank you for your kind replies, i have only one water mains, reason for splitting it is, so we can take straight supply to kitchen area and one supply to boiler and water softener up stairs. The supply we took to the kitchen is going to be my drinking water and not connected to softener, due to the sodium in the salt, i have heart condition. All your replies are re assuring and much appreciated.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Thanks,

Normally would have brought one MDP pipe into the house and put a stop cock near it and then run internal pipes from there.

I may be advisable to test the water pressure before connecting the water softener as some of these are sensitive to mains pressure

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ditto.:)

Ideally in 22mm copper before reducing as required to 15mm copper.

9. pano

pano New Member

Thank you, will do that