Megaflow Heating Systems

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ellliot, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Ellliot

Ellliot New Member

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this question.

Basically I've received a quote to upgrade out heating system to either a Combi or a Megaflow and wondered if the Megaflow quote was ok or if I'm being fleeced.

Few details:

House is a 3 bed (extended downstairs), 1 bathroom (bath + shower), 1 downstairs toilet, with 8 rads.

Both quotes are to remove existing boiler, hot and cold water tanks and install the system in the loft.

Combi Quote
    -----------
    Fit Potterton Combi 30 HE, new roomstat and programmer, flush and make work - £2150.00

Megaflow
    --------
    Fit Viessmann conventional boiler, fit 250l Megaflow hot water tank, fit moterised control and pump, flush and make work - £3750

I've heard a Megaflow is the Roll Royce of heating systems but is it work the extra the money. OUr ideal goals are to have a system which is in the loft and to have far more pressure than our existing system which takes ages to fill a bath

Elliot

2. Since you dont describe your existing system its difficult for us to compare.

With either a combi or a magaflow its the incoming mains pressure and flow which must be adequate. About 25 li/min open pipe minimum.

The combi would suit most people but the megaflow will be better.

Both quotes seem reasonable.

Tony

3. Ellliot

Ellliot New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Existing system is a gravity flow system, big old boiler in the kitchen which we want moved out, can't remember the make.

I've been told the mains water pressure is good.

My only concern with the Combi is the pressure we'll get out of the hot water on the shower / bath when the heating or washing machine is on.

4. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this
    question.

Basically I've received a quote to upgrade out
    heating system to either a Combi or a Megaflow and
    wondered if the Megaflow quote was ok or if I'm being
    fleeced.

Few details:

House is a 3 bed (extended downstairs), 1 bathroom
    (bath + shower), 1 downstairs toilet, with 8 rads.

Both quotes are to remove existing boiler, hot and
    cold water tanks and install the system in the loft.

Combi Quote
    -----------
    Fit Potterton Combi 30 HE, new roomstat and
    programmer, flush and make work - £2150.00

Flow rate is not that good, so go for the Alpha CD50. Cylinder filling performance with high pressure. They carry a 5 yr guarantee. There are many floor mounted high flow combis too. The Potterton Powermax breaks down so it can be lifted into the loft.

Megaflow
    --------
    Fit Viessmann conventional boiler, fit 250l Megaflow
    hot water tank, fit moterised control and pump, flush
    and make work - £3750

I've heard a Megaflow is the Roll Royce of heating
    systems but is it work the extra the money.

Avoid unvented cylinders if you can:
    http://www.waterheaterblast.com

Go for a <u>vented</u> heat bank/thermal store rather than a Megaflow/unvented cylinder. Cost is about the same and no annual service for the unvented cylinder. Yes they cost to service each year.

OUr ideal
    goals are to have a system which is in the loft and
    to have far more pressure than our existing system
    which takes ages to fill a bath

Elliot

The Alpha or a floor mounted highflow combi will do. Gledhill do a floor mounted job with full electric backup of CH and DHW.

5. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Existing system is a gravity flow system, big old
    boiler in the kitchen which we want moved out, can't
    remember the make.

I've been told the mains water pressure is good.

My only concern with the Combi is the pressure we'll
    get out of the hot water on the shower / bath when
    the heating or washing machine is on.

How often will that occur? Probably very rare indeed. I would not count that as an issue in a domestic house.

The heating has nothing to do with the DHW side. When DHW is called the boiler diverts all power to heat the water.

6. Ellliot

Ellliot New Member

One extra thing I probably should of mentioned we're looking to put in some sort of power shower into the bathroom will the Combi be able to power this directly or will it need a pump?

Obviously if the combi looks like it'll do the job for loads less money then we'll probably go for it.

Thanks again.

Elliot

7. AndyMCR

AndyMCR New Member

You can't fit a pump to a combi system. However, if your water pressure is good, your shower will be plenty powerful enough - much better than an electric one.

Andy.

8. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

One extra thing I probably should of mentioned we're
    looking to put in some sort of power shower into the
    bathroom will the Combi be able to power this
    directly or will it need a pump?

The mains pressure should be higher than a pump. Yiou can't put a pump onnthe mains.

Obviously if the combi looks like it'll do the job
    for loads less money then we'll probably go for it.

Which combi? The Alpha CD50 is about £900-1000 to buy.

9. Ellliot

Ellliot New Member

The plumber has quoted for a Potterton Combi 30 HE so I guess the Potterton.

10. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

The plumber has quoted for a Potterton Combi 30 HE so
    I guess the Potterton.

Slow bath fills. I would get them to quote on the Alpha CD50 combi - you will not be disappointed at all. If you only take baths occasionally then not a problem. With a slow combi it is best to fill the bath with some water, get in and keep it filling while you are in the bath. Or start the fill and then get ready. Then you don't wait so long for a bath.

11. Ellliot

Ellliot New Member

Ok cool I'll ask the plumber about an Alpha CD50 combi, we end up having lots of baths, most nights, well the kids do.