Microwave ventilation

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by JRH, Sep 13, 2016.

1. JRH

JRH New Member

Hi

We are shortly having our new kitchen fitted with all appliances integrated. One concern i have is how does the microwave oven ventilate? I asked the fitter and he said it just vents into the back space of the unit.
    Our old free standing microwave could vent a lot of steam depending on what was being cooked. I have searched online and cannot find any kind of hood or microwave vent. It seems crazy that all that hot air and vapour is vented behind the kitchen units. Am i missing something?

Can anyone advise

Thanks

2. Your oven of choice will come with full installation instructions. Follow them.

If it's a combi oven - with conventional or fan oven - then it'll produce a lot of heat and will need correct installation. Yes, this is usually out the back, so no back panel on that section and a good venting gap up the whole back of the unit with grill on the plinth and open space at the top.

In addition, some ovens will need a vented surround bezel.

Don't entertain trying to build-in a free-standing microwave oven. A proper built-in type will come with the full guidelines, so don't worry.

3. JRH

JRH New Member

Thanks for the advice.
    It's a fan oven as well as a seperate integrated microwave. I'll make sure some sort of grill is installed on the plinth.

4. The installation instructions will describe the size of the necessary plinth cut-out. Don't skimp on this. Also ensure that no unit shelf/floor panel goes back to the wall further than where the back panel sits, or that will also restrict air flow. Ditto at the very top.

When I did this (on a built-in fridge freezer for my outlaws), I cut a section out of the plinth from its top edge - must be around 2" deep, curved ends so neat enough - but it's only visible from one viewpoint (from one chair in the sitting room across the hall...) as it's on the top edge of the plinth which is tucked, mostly hidden, under the base unit. You cannot see the cut-out when standing in the kitchen itself at all.

But, yes, there are grills available too.