Mirror fixing advice

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mirror hanging problem, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Advice required please:

I have 4 x IKEA wavy mirrors to hang in my bathroom. Each mirror is 20cm x 160cm. The mirrors come with a glued plate on the back enabling them to be hung length ways. However I wish to hang them horizontally for a wavy effect in my bathroom. I had glued (hard as nails) 40mm zinc plated mini mounts to the back of the mirrors to hang them, unfortunately this ended with the mirror staying up just long enough for me to leave the room!

Is there a glue/contact adhesive that would be strong enough to do this job or should I get spring loaded mirror fixings?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thankyou.

2. Bahco

Bahco Guest

Gripfill would be strong enough to hold mirrors but you would need to apply to all of the back surface of the mirrors in a wavy pattern.
    You would still have the problem of holding them in place while it sets though.
    Mirror fixings with a chrome screw cap would be more ideal.A glass merchant will drill holes for you or buy the slidey type.

3. avago

avago New Member

I've stuck many-a-thing with a contact adhesive (the stuff you get in a little tin) and it should do your mirror no problem as long as the walls are flat enough to get a good contact.

Spread the glue onto the mirror and wall, put the mirror in place and 'skid' it around a bit then pull the mirror off, wait about 10 minutes for it to go touch dry then stick it back in place and it should be fixed solid.

Check on the tin to make sure it's waterproof and you should have no problem

4. davey888

davey888 New Member

Try mirror mate, screwfix sell it on page 103. specially designed to fix mirrors to walls and tiles.

5. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

If you stick it on & ever need to remove it, The wall surface will come off with it & need re-skimming at least.

6. Caveman

Caveman New Member

Used Mirror-Mate to fix a large mirror to the tiles in my bathroom, held it with parcel tape while the stuff went off - stuck like **** to a blanket!!

7. joannehawskins

joannehawskins New Member

8. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

your mirror from ikea would be best fitted with these http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-concealed-metal-mirror-fixing-kit/46116 2 of the fittings are spring tension and these goes at the top.

Just make sure the mirror is 5mm thick and having seen those mirrors on display I am certain they are 5 mm thick, but check to be sure.

To put the mirror in, you simply slot the mirror in at the top and push it up alittle and then slot the into the bottom fitting and it is then held in place.

9. meady

meady Member

I think he would have fitted it by now seeing as the post is 10 years old :)

PJ Wales likes this.
  10. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

duh just saw that ops lol