Mistake - water based coat on oil based paint makes yellow marks

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Chris2904, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Chris2904

Chris2904 New Member

Hi, I made a beginner mistake and not sure how to fix it.

I painted my ceiling white and the walls grey (all in water based paint). The grey went a bit on the White and so to Save time and hide it I painted The marks with a white oil based paint on the ceiling. Then I put a normal coat of white water based paint.

Next day the marks turned yellow. I put a second coat of white water based paint, but it still shows yellow.

Any help would be great
    This
    Chris

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Personally, I'd have just gone over the grey paint with a couple of coats of the white emulsion, or even sanded the grey back a bit before a few coats of white.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

As John says a couple of coats of white would have sorted it, but your best plan will be to pop into your local DIY store and buy some "stain block" lots out there. I swear by Zinsser Bullseye 123 but any make will sort you out. Follow the instructions on the tin (most advise two coats) and that will stop the oil bleeding through. Sometimes it will bleed through the first coat, but will then be "locked in" and the second will cover. ;)