Mixed rings circuits

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by t4z, Feb 4, 2016.

1. t4z

t4z New Member

Good morning,
    I have been called into have a look at a new rewire and a cu fit..
    The previous guy has labbled some cables but not all of them,so i started testing the ring circuits and came across something iv not seen before.

He previous spark has wired two ring circuits into one socket eg ( kitchen ring 1 and kitchen ring 2 into one socket).

I was wondering if this complys with regs as isolation on a circuit would mean isolating 2 mcb's to make working on the circuit safe.

Any help is appreciated thanks very muchly

2. Phil Hyde

Phil Hyde Active Member

Not quite sure what you mean. But would say it's a massive no no . So you have 4 sets of cables in one socket??

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Are we talking about a grid switch type affair?

4. t4z

t4z New Member

It is a kitchen ring and only 2 x 2.5mm t+e in the socket.

5. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Crossed over the legs in the CU. Are you the poor sap that has been asked to test it because he got a **** pot down the pub to do wire it.

6. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

OP. .,why are you starting a job half way through?. .I agree with PP, why isn't the chump who installed them cables testing, if I was you leave it be and walk away

7. t4z

t4z New Member

Im doing it for a friend,he has been messed about by builders and now it seems the spark to...
    I was just wondering if i could wire up the rings as normal and leave instructions on the cu so the next time its worked on the warning is there.

8. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

More to the point how on earth (excuse the pun) would you not know that it absolutely isn't acceptable?

If you don't know that then surely you cannot be competent - i.e. you are INCOMPETENT.

Phil Hyde likes this.
  9. Phil Hyde

Phil Hyde Active Member

Likes been said crossed over legs in consumer unit. And it's a massive no.
    Have you done and end to end test on each circuit to confirm the ring?

10. t4z

t4z New Member

I have continuity tested the socket ring,and thats where the issue came about..
    I have 2 seperate rings in one socket.

11. In another thread you did not know how to find a switched live.
    You are now trying to mess about with a consumer unit.
    Get in an electrician who knows what he is doing,as obviously you do not.

12. sparky Si-Fi

What are you using to establish you have two ring finals. .continuity tester on a multimeter?

13. t4z

t4z New Member

Yep using multimeter..

14. t4z

t4z New Member

I am not doing the final wiring of the cu,i am just trying to put everything in place for the spark who is coming to fit it,so want to get it all right first off if possible.just do yo save him time

15. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

It's often the other way around. The poor builder and spark being messed around by the customer. Why do contractors get the blame? Sure, there are bad ones out there, but it usually stems from something.

If I am asked to go in and finish a job, I tread very carefully, and usually steer well clear. The relationship broke up for a reason.

16. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

basic principle, NO!!!!!!

17. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Judging by your questions both present and previous, you haven't seen much!

Why are you testing ring circuit continuity from a socket? What were your end to end readings for live, neutral and earth?

If you need to ask that you should not be interfering. You are as previously stated by Risteard, not competent and you are putting life and property in danger. Get a professional in and stop messing about with what you clearly do not understand. Get the pro to show you.

Kind regards

18. sparky Si-Fi

That says to me your out your depth. .a multimeter will not give Ohmage readings down to 0.00

You need the correct continuity tester capable of readings down to 0.01+ of an Ohm which will determine the length of the legs of your Ring finals. .

For all you know you may as well have a bridged ring or a short

Leave it alone pal. .

t4z likes this.
  19. t4z

t4z New Member

As i mentioned i wont be doing the final wiring just getting things in place for the pro.

20. t4z

t4z New Member

To be honest mate only goin on what i was told,but i can may be see why the builder left,project management could be better..
    But it is what it is.
    Thanks for the advice will be using that in the future lol