Mk Split Board RCD Questiom

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rossm, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Rossm

Rossm Member

Hi,

I have recently moved Into a new property which has a fairly new 12 way split RCD board.

I ran in a new ring circuit for kitchen and connected into the board. I did an IR test on the cables and they were fine. After I connected it up and energised the circuit I noticed I had connected the neutrals into the other RCD neutral bar but did not trip the RCD. The question I am asking is should the RCD not of detected the imbalance and trip out the circuit ?

Thanks

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I suppose if not much current was flowing it might not trip it.

3. Rossm

Rossm Member

Thanks for your reply.

The ring ain't had no current flowing through it.

Should the RCD trip If the neutral and earth or live and Earth touch together at the socket when disconnected and the circuit is de-energised ?

4. Rossm

Rossm Member

Disconnected at the socket end and still connected in at the consumer unit

5. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Wouldn't the use of numbered neutral terminals have avoided that ? Or were the wrong set of numbers used even though the correct set are opposite the relevant MCB?

6. Rossm

Rossm Member

The neutral terminals have not been numbered, nor has the earth bar. It was just a simple mistake on my behalf but I always thought the purpose of an RCD was to detect an imbalance between phase and neutral and short circuit if the two cores touch at the field end. I'm just hoping the RCD isn't faulty

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

My reply was based on the fact that I thought you were a spark with the correct test equipment.

8. Rossm

Rossm Member

My mate is a spark and he has looked at the test results and certificate that was left with the house, he has confirmed everything is fine on the test results. He works offshore so doesn't require to have any testing equipment. It was him that recommended that I posted on here to see what you guys think.

Should the RCD trip if two cores touch each other at the socket end with the circuit isolated ?

9. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

isolated in what way - at the mcb? if so, it may still take the rcd out but it depends on what is going on elsewhere load wise

10. Rossm

Rossm Member

Isolated at the MCB. No load going through it at all on that circuit. Very little going through the other 3 existing circuits either that were still live. It never took the RCD out but I did expect it to.

Cheers

11. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

only way to test rcd's ross is with a tester mate. no good second guessing if its working or not. cheers

Rossm likes this.
  12. Rossm

Rossm Member

Cheers FatHands

13. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Did your (mate) not do the set of tests as regs, Leg end-end and line to cpc, Zs and test the RCD as you said your (mate) checked insulation resistance or have you done this yourself. . ?

(I am informing you that running in a new circuit is notifiable to BC and is law either if your a self-certifying sparks and did it yourself as a reg. electrician or you ask notify the council)

14. RichT

RichT New Member

Get it properly tested, by a spark.

15. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

If there's no load on the circuit,mthen there would be no imbalance for the RCD to detect.
    When earths and neutrals touch, some of the current which should travel along the neutral and through the RCD is shunted down the earth by-passing the RCD.

Rossm and FatHands like this.