Mono Basin Tap - pop up waste problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Spider-dan, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Spider-dan

Spider-dan New Member

Having trouble again!

We have a mono basin and a mono basin tap. The tap fits fine, but the pop up waste will not fit! The control rod just hits the basin, the angle seems far too wrong.

Am I doing something wrong? Or have I been given the wrong tap for the basin?

Thanks for any help!

2. Spider-dan

Spider-dan New Member

I've been advised to bend the rod, is that usual?

3. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Often have to bend the rod to stop it fouling on the basin.

BB

4. tgs

tgs New Member

Monotaps with pop-up waste are an absolute pain. The monotap is OK but the waste seems to get in the way of everything else.

First thing is to assemble the sink before installation and experiment with the mechanism. The push-pull rod is sometimes angled and it is not obvious which way it goes in so try different ways. You often have to cut the rod to stop it from hitting the waste pipe, leave that for the moment. Without hooking the rod to the rest of the mechanism try to get that moving up and down satisfactorily and then try hooking to the waste part.

If that works then you can fit the sink. If it does not then it will depend upon how you bought the sink and tap. If bought separately you are up a gum tree but if bought for use to together then you can take it back and say it doesn't work together.

It sometimes takes a bit of faffing about and the instructions are not always helpful because very often they are generic and not specific to the fitment. I have always managed to get these working though so have a good try first.

5. tgs

tgs New Member

The rod is usually made of brass so will not take a huge amount of bending before breaking. I have never needed to bend one of these rods so experiment first. If you do come to the conclusion you need to bend the rod then be very careful.

6. tightenit

tightenit New Member

A pedestal trap does not normally foul these pop up wastes. Unless of course the 'down' wire is too long, and can be cut when the mechanisms are set up correctly. Also sometimes the connection (knurled nut)going into the trap and forming the horizontal wire connection can be too tight - again jamming the movement. As advised, be patient and get it right if you can. Bending it is not a good idea. Good luck.

7. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Did one the other day, the pig broke on the thread, tried to re thread to no avail, ended up taking the chrome off the thread and the nut to expose the brass and soldered it together.

8. J. D.

J. D. New Member

I helped a mate yesterday with his monobloc waste. The angle on it was rediculous, hitting the basin way above the connection to the waste. I used a immersion heater box spanner to bend the rod around (with the intention of getting a smooth bend but it ended up being a slight kink).

9. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

The best types of Taps that I have seen are the Hans Grohe side pop up waste type, they quite simply glide effortlessly up and down.

Ideal standard have actually designed a few of their taps so that the rod goes through a hole in the fixing nut so it never gets stuck on the side of the Basin Tap hole.

Bending the rod is not uncommon for me either!!

10. J. D.

J. D. New Member

I've got Hans Grohe taps in my Berkeley's built flat and they are excellent. I shall mostly be fitting them in my next house!

11. Ricky Kay

Ricky Kay New Member

Great tap set.
    The rods are a pain in rear as they hit the waste pipe and restrict full movement.
    I took the advice of a few on here and bent the rod attached to the waste.
    If you can be bothered, it's worth it for the final look.