Mould Questions

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by nickyrannoch, Aug 24, 2015.

1. nickyrannoch

nickyrannoch New Member

Noticed last night that patches of black and white mould had formed on bedroom wall. Our bedroom is in the attic so the external wall is the tiled roof. It seemed to appear overnight as I am sure I would have noticed it before. The wall is papered

I have read that black mould is a sign of condensation and not a leak and that a leak would be a brown tea like stain. However, a few things would seem to contradict that to me.

The wallpaper seems clammy/ cold to the touch where the mould has formed but fine everywhere else. including directly above where the mould starts.
    We dont dry indoors.
    The bedroom window is left open most of the day and all night when we are in there.

Could it be that it is a leak but that has manifested itself as black mould/ condensation on the paper as the leak on the wall itself below the paper has made it cold/wet?

Am I best just to rip the paper off and have a look? Will the paper need replacing anyway?

Cheers

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Defiantly take to paper down and have a look, it could be much worse under the paper. I would wash it down first with some bleached water to clean away as much of the mould as possible, it could cause some health issues, though probably wouldn't.

3. nickyrannoch

nickyrannoch New Member

IMAG0183-min.jpg Here is what lies beneath.

Does that look like a leak more than condensation?

If so I suppose next step would be to get someone to look at roof but would the whole thing need replastered or can it left to dry out? Or do i leave insurance company to decide that?

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Looking at the staining around the edges, I'm incline to say a leak somewhere.

If you insured, that's the route to take.

nickyrannoch likes this.
  5. nickyrannoch

nickyrannoch New Member

cheers for help

6. smooth finish

smooth finish New Member

In my professional opinion.. I think you may have a ghost ;)

plasterer doncaster

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A leak.

Insurance job.