Mountfield mower doesn't restart

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Steve bean, May 18, 2015.

1. Steve bean

Steve bean New Member

I have a mountfield sp534 law mower that I've had for several years now and never had a problem with it.
    With the inevitable spring growing of the lawn it's been out a fair few times already this year.
    It will start perfectly well but once I have been cutting the lawn for a while and have to stop it to empty the grass box I can't get it to start again.
    I have to wait for it to cool down after a couple of hours and then have another go.
    To get around this at the moment I have managed to clip the OPC lever to the handle so that it can't cut off while I empty the box. Not really a good idea but an interim solution.

Any ideas why it won't restart when hot and what I could do to solve
    Thanks
    Steve

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

So its a problem starting hot?

3. Steve bean

Steve bean New Member

Correct

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Evaporation of the fuel in the intake manifold due to the heat of the engine, also if it's a few years old the valves will have closed up a tad, it will involves resetting them, commonly know as tappets. Another thing to watch is the age of the fuel, old fuel goes off and doesn't ignite as easy.
    My advice is to have it services at a proper garden machine repair shop.

5. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

yeah i agree. Good point about the age of fuel too.

6. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Years ago, I had an old 2-stroke Flymo with the same problem,apparently this was down to the crank-case seals not sealing properly when the motor was hot.

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Not the same on a 4 stroke, they don't rely on crankcase pressure to draw fuel in.

8. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

That's why I mentioned mine was 2-stroke Phil. I didn't know what type of engine a Mountfield has. ;)

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

When you stop it next time, try uncsrewing the petrol filler cap while you empty the grassbox.
    Could be a vacuum in the tank because of blocked airvent, fine when running, but draws petrol back when stopped.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just found this thread, apparently the same mower.

FatHands likes this.
  11. Steve bean

Steve bean New Member

Thanks all. Will try out the advice at the weekend.

12. Derek.K

Derek.K New Member

Nothing against Mountfield per-se but my old one had a recurring issue with hot-starting too.. Seems to be a recurring theme..

( Treated myself to a Husqvarna eventually :p )