Mr Matt and Mr Gloss

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Iceman26, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Iceman26

Iceman26 New Member

Hi
    With apologies for the basic question but could anyone please give me a brief overview on which types of paints are best for which jobs.
    Historically I have always put matt emulsion on walls and gloss on woodwork but now need to paint some "high use" areas ie mdf shelving, cupboards etc When I have used matt before on this kind of project it quickly scuffs and cant be wiped.
    Internet surfing suggests that I would be better with eggshell, vinyl matt or vinyl silk but there is also a staggering array of other paints eg "diamond matt" (which seems very expensive) tougher "Kitchen paints" (it is for the kitchen).
    I don't really want shiny walls but can anyone please give me some advice?
    Thanks!

2. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Something I have done on kitchen shelves made of melamine that used to mark badly when stainless steel coffee tea etc jars were stored there, is to cut 2mm acrylic sheet from Wickes or Homebase to fit on top.
    A couple of bits of double sided selotape holds the sheets in place to stop them sliding off and they are almost invisible in use.

4. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

I think you mean Mr acrylic sheets from Mrs Wickes

5. Iceman, the finish you get on manufactured kitchens is 'melamine', a very tough and durable plastic material. I don't know of any paint that'll match that, certainly not any 'conventional' paint.

The supposed substitute linked to above sounds good but has very disappointing reviews. It might still be your best bet, tho'.

Other than that, I reckon you should be looking at 'satin' or 'eggshell' finishes which might not be quite as durable as gloss, but will look a lot better when scuffed! You don't want any paint that's designed for walls - they just won't be up to the job. You should be looking at finishes for timber, and known brand products such as Diamond Hard (is that Dulux or Ronseal?!)

But, if this is for the insides of kitchen cupboards, they are going to get mighty scuffed in use.

One possible solution is epoxy paint, which is '2-part' and sets chemically. It will certainly be a lot tougher than ordinary paints, but ain't cheap.

If it's for the insides of units, then apply with a mini foam roller - rotating slowly and finishing lightly so as not to create bubbles. You should be able to get a very fine, even textured finish.

6. apl

apl Member

Once you've done the usual prep work, wash, rinse and lightly sand, I'd recommend coating the mdf with Zinsser Covestain, followed by two coats of Little Green Oil Eggshell. Lovely finish and very durable.