My builder woes! lol

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by koolpc, Oct 11, 2016.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Few issues have come to light with the builder we have had.

We had an issue where the scrim was showing all around where a window was blocked up. That was sorted.

Now that plaster is almost dry i have these issues:

1. Some large feather cracks have appeared on a wall. Not around where the plasterboard meets the 'brick' but in the middle.
    2. 'Feathering' of plaster is very rough around pipes and rads even though builder said one would not notice where the plaster ends.
    3. A patch approx 3ft x 3ft on the wall is all rough where as the rest of the wall the plaster is smooth
    4. The metal around the windows reveal corners is showing through the plaster. You can see the circles through the plaster!
    How do i go about fixing these? I dont want to call the builder back as obviously we have no trust in him and this is now after a few issues of which he has had a chance to rectify.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sure he's a builder, surely not with that standard of work!!!!!!!!!!!;)

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seems to be the season for builder woes.:)

Can be PIA where plasterboard meets brickwork even when scrimed with cracking due to difference in materials.
    If closing an opening in a brick wall, I always prefer to to brick up rather than board & skim prevents a lot of hassle.

There are several types of angle bead,some for plasterboard, some for masonry,wonder if he used the correct one, fitted correctly it shouldn't show.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Astramax likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Builders or chancers?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Cowboys!

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

So, any advice on how to fix these issues myself please?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Windows reveal might need redoing, rough patch might need sanding or skimming to correct, as to Feathering, might need to sand down,skim or even cut back plaster & redo the area, any good plasterer should be able to feather in the edges.
    I'm here not there to see the quailty of work, so difficult to work out how bad things are & the work needed to correct the issues.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Fill it over with Easifil, when dry sand it to a smooth finish.

KIAB likes this.
  9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Is that the cracks? What about the reveals?

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Thanks

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Cheers guys.

I will rake out the cracks and fill with it.

Can i use it to cover the mesh holes on the window reveals? Then sand down?

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As above, difficult without seeing in situ or photos - later should be possible ?

I've had poor plastering over the years and in same position when communications between both sides break down, you often end up sorting the problem yourself

Rough patches, marks, lumps, pin holes, etc, can all be sanded down, filled, sand down, repeat until you get the finish you require

Scrim tape and corner beads showing can be harder as sounds like the beads haven't been set at the correct depth and/or a super skinny skim has been applied

You can't just lash loads of filler over the beads as this has to be blended in with wall surface
    The smallest lip between filler and wall will show, and once hit with paint, will show even more (even with flat Matt emulsion)

Also without enough depth of plaster on the beads, there may be some movement with the metalwork which will lead to cracks appearing - just hope he's used a few fixings through the beads

As usual, have you paid in full ?
    Are you on speaking terms ?
    Is there further work plannned with this guy ?

15. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Pics of cracks where i have raked out the cracks and filled. Will fill again and then smooth down:

1.jpg 2.jpg

16. Bearing in mind this is still bare plaster and not yet fully dry, the end result might not be as bad as you fear.

1. The feather crack is probably the one that worries me most, but it all depends on the cause. Is it that the feathered edge seems to be lifting from the layer below? Or is it an actual hairline crack that goes straight in towards the wall?

2. Rough feathering - no real solution other than to sand and fill as needed. Use a coarse - 180-ish - grit to remove larger ridges, and then finish with something finer like a 280 to 400 grit I guess.

3. As 2... :oops:

4. If what you are seeing is an 'image' of the edge strips - ie different coloured plaster where these holes are - then that isn't necessarily a significant issue. You will often get that 'image' due to the different depths of plaster there drying at different rates (I guess...)

So, almost all a matter of a bit of labour - sanding and filling. A thing to note, tho', is - if you start applying thin smears of filler on new plaster, it'll absorb all the moisture out of the filler instantly and it won't go on smoothly.

What I would do is - wait until it's all completely dry - light pink. Tackle all the rough areas and poor feathering with a sanding block and whatever grit is needed to remove excess plaster but not leave sanding marks - probably 280 grit if done lightly. See how well you get on with the feathering joins, but stop sanding if the 'edge' doesn't seem to actually improve, but only move slightly along!

The window reveals with the edge-strip pattern, go over that very lightly using a finer grit - chust enough to remove that pattern, but don't damage the actual corner strip especially if it's galvanised steel.

When you've got this as good as you think you can (don't be too picky) brush and wipe off all the dust and then apply a watered coat of matt emulsion (20% water?) and allow to dry. If it's soaked in well, when fully dry apply a second coat.

Now look at what you have - hopefully a lot better than you feared.

Ok, has the pattern on the window edge strips come through again - can you feel them to the touch? If you can, then probably a thin smear over with fine surface filler and a flat filling knife might be necessary. But I'm hoping it'll actually be ok.

The feathered edges - are they still noticeable? If so, again apply a thin smear bridging across the visible edge using a wider bladed filling knife - try and apply a 2"-ish wide band of fine filler across the 'edge' and going on to both sides. Make this a thinnest smear you can - press that blade in firmly.

You should hopefully find that the paint layer will make the filler go on more smoothly that if it were applied to bare plaster. If you find the filler is still getting a touch dry - so not spreading/smearing on smoothly - then add a few drops of water to it and try again (or even spray a mist on to it whilst it's on the wall) and run the blade over it again.

Allow to fully dry, and lightly sand again.

17. What is under that skim? Brick? Plaster bonding coat? Plasterboard? Are were there any 'joints' where these cracks appear?

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

180 grit coarse:eek:, it a fine grade paper, medium grade is a 80-120.:p

19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Thanks guys

Plasterboard under those cracks, plastered. No idea what plaster they used. No joints under first pic. 2nd one yes.

I have given them a raking and 1 filling. Planning on giving 2nd filling and then light sanding.

As for the reveals, i lightly filled all down the edge where the filler strips are showing. Going to lightly sand that to see if it is better.

The 3ft x 3ft rough patch i will sand down

120 grit i have which says 'Fine' on it

Ruddy builder!

20. Hey, the standard I work to, I consider 1200 grit a tad 'rough'... :p

(OK, point taken... :oops:)

KIAB likes this.