My Thoughts on the Festool TS55

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Joe95, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Considering it was you lads who finally convinced me to get the TS55, I thought it would be a good idea to follow up on my opinion of it.

Firstly, It is brilliant. I am still left surprised by the fact you can just place the track on the material and the plastic edge is the exact cut line.

I do find the depth adjustment useful, being able to just push in and slide along the guide is genius. Whereas on the circular saw you have to twist a wing nut that gives you no accurate guide.
    The extraction is incredible too, it beats any other saw I've used. You still get some dust and chips, but it doesn't even compare to what the circular saw left behind.

My only niggle is that the extraction hose and cable tend to 'catch' on the track. I'm sure there is something to sort that issue, but I haven't looked yet.

If your on the fence about getting one, then I highly recommend it. It has and will continue to change the way I work.

KIAB and tore81 like this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not me, it was that Sospan.:eek:

You'll catch the Festool bug now...:D

Jitender and Joe95 like this.
  3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I used to have one. Sold it a year ago as I wasn't doing much in the way of joinery work. Have to admit, it's a quality tool (albeit with a price to match)

Joe95 likes this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

There is an attachment that fits on the end of the rail that smooths it but then you can't cut a 4" board, bought one then binned it.

Joe95 likes this.
  5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Def on the to buy list. Have had to fit out a utility the last couple of days with staggered(height wise) and deeper worktops all cut from a 3m breakfast bar. Would have saved me a good few hours, especially after realising even my humble circular saw wasn't on the van...doh!!
    Handsaw...router...jigsaw...oh the pain!!! :D

Joe95 likes this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

4' obviously :oops::oops:

7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

You really won't regret it. It's another of those 'until you try it' type things.
    You'll still need a circular saw, as the track is really what makes the saw what it is.

CGN likes this.
  8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I think I already have:oops:.

A Festool KS60 and an OF1400 track adapter is heading my way:D.

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't rate the KS60, not impressed with it.

Cutting depth 45°/45° (left): 215 x 40 mm is poor, my Bosch will do 48mm, & 90 degree crosscut is better @ 70mm.:)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I can do most of the first fix work I need with it, and it will do all the second fix I need. The extraction is a big plus, looking forward to working inside more.
    It'll still be better than the Evolution...

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The TS55 has a very well deserved reputation.

Like all tools like these power and extraction cables always get in the way. There is an attachment that goes on the end of the rail, but as Chippie says its useless. The is a video on YouTube with one of the Festool bloggers putting a sleeve over the hose that helps it slide which looks really good.

I have the MFT table which adds a huge amount of capability. I made up some bedroom units this week and the were as accurate as making them up on a table saw. The only drawback is the maximum cutting width of 700mm, ok for units but can't cut big sheets up.

My only irritation is the splinter guard on the side of the machine which you have to have to remember to lower yourself.

It isn't so much that Festool gear is addictive, is that you look at it and think that makes it easier. As part of the bedroom units I was making this week, I had to cut some 55mm quadrant shelves for an open end cupboard. I used their MFS template with their router to cut a template, so easy. Same as cutting the holes for shelf pegs, I used to use a perspex and a Kreg template which used to take forever to line up and every few holes had to move it up for the next batch. There is a Festool rail, 1400mm long that reduces a lot of the work and also includes a jig for the cabinet hinges. Very expensive but reduces the risk of trashing a piece by making a mistake.

Some things in the range are a bit of an unnecessary, but you don't know until you try them and work it out for yourself. That is the main issue I have with the Festool kit is that the documentation and manuals are rubbish, with users having to rely on external video's and guides to understand what the products do and how to set them up.

And the other gripe - the use of Ikea type names for some of the products; Rubin, Viles, Granat, Brilliant just call them wood discs, paint discs, general purpose etc.

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  12. e30mark

e30mark Member

Joe95 likes this.
  13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select