Nail gun

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by joe5000, Aug 2, 2010.

1. joe5000

joe5000 New Member

Hi folks, need some advice on Nail guns, something I know nothing about.

Just built a large shed and gonna clad it in 19mm Shiplap - wondered if I should buy/hire a nail-gun to make life easier ?

Never used one before and dont know much about them, but from what I've gathered, you can get gas or electric, and 1st or second fix ?!!?

I'll need one that will shoot appropriate nails for the ship-lap (galvanised?) and I guess about 50mm Deep.

Also, will the gun damage the wood from any recoil, and/or will the nails stop just short of flush, and I have to finish off the last few mm with a hammer ?

Can anyone steer me in the right direction ?

Thansk guys.

2. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

You can hire/buy a gas powered second fix nailer (usually Paslode) from most tool hire shops. They will fire nails up to two and a half inches. As for damaging the wood and leaving the nails proud, the depth can be adjusted to finish flush with the surface

3. CraftMan2010

CraftMan2010 New Member

Rent a paslode second fix gas gun for cladding.
    Its a mans toy :)

And here's a Tip: Once you have fished cladding Screw and counter sink the bottom and top for extra strength. Then every five cladding up. This will help the over all strength it will keep them all nice at tightly locked.

4. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

Where did you learn that?

5. CraftMan2010

CraftMan2010 New Member

Where did you learn that?

1. NVQ3 Carpenter
    2. Brad nail from the gun have very small heads therefore some can become loose from expanding and shrinking timber.

Your next question: Why dont you use the first fix gun then?

Answer: The smaller the head the smaller the filling the better the look.

It just looks better when the pros do it!

6. wuddy

wuddy Member

"It just looks better when the pros do it!"

dont worry too much about it craftsman keep practising and one day you will be a pro and yours will look just as good

you might even get to be your names sake ;)

7. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

No sorry, I meant who taught you the tip?

I hadn't heard to do that you see. I was wondering how fixing top, bottom and every 5th keeps 'it all tight'?

If each board shrinks by appx the same amount, wont including super strong fixed points make the gaps around them worse?

Just looking at it from a 'blicklayers' dim point of view, whilst trying to learn from a pro:)

8. CraftMan2010

CraftMan2010 New Member

wuddy dont be cheeky and ian maybe every 5 is bit extreme but leave the thinking to me ;)

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Fixing 19mm shiplap is a job for a first fix nailer with galv ring nails, brads arent up to the job. As for filler a neat row of nail holes on an outdoor structure is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. It may look better with little pinheads and a couple of screws but give it a couple of hard winters and hot summers and those boards will be popping off. It may look better temporarily when a "NVQ3 pro" does it with a a combination of weedy brads and countersunk screws, but it would look a lot better five years down the line when its done with the right fixings.

10. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

Have to agree. Shiplap suffers terribly from curling, shrinking and everything else, being outside and exposed all the time.

Its either too hot and dry or cold and damp as far as shiplap is concerned :)

One tip is to paint/stain/preserve/etc all around before fixing........it's surprising how that helps to prevent curling etc.

11. CraftMan2010

CraftMan2010 New Member

sorry goldenboy your right