need a few pointers

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by george35, Sep 3, 2016.

1. george35

george35 New Member

hay im starting up a handyman business ive got a painting job its strip back and stain exterior wooden stairs case should i charge by the hour or by the job plus how much i've seen lots of posts 20, 25, £30 that's all north of where i am i'm in devon hope to get a response

2. george35

george35 New Member

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Stripping that lot will be a nightmare, also when stripped the wood will not stain at all well as it will still have paint stuck in the grain etc. How long have you allowed for?
    Free Tip...prepare it all over with a good wash down with sugar soap then sandpaper all over after that's done apply 3 coats of an opaque wood finish such as Bedec Barn Paint, Sadolin Superdec or Dulux Weathershieled Opaques all available in many colours including natural wood shades.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  4. george35

george35 New Member

half the day to a day to strip then re stain 2 days

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Depends on what level of finish the customer has requested, stripping it will not be easy, have you thought about access equipment for safe working.

6. george35

george35 New Member

He just wants it waterproofed to last a few more years I'm open to ideas it don't have to be stained it can be repainted I've got trestles platforms

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Bedec Barn Paint would be ideal then.....5 years protection.

8. george35

george35 New Member

Ok cool thanks for the help

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Another tip....beware of that word 'just'!;)