Need instruction for fitting cranked storm hinges

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Eddielee, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Eddielee

Eddielee New Member

Basically a customer has a door in the middle of a wall it needs to open roughly 120-130 degrees without fouling on the architrave I suggested parliament hinges but he didn't like how far they stuck out he has gone out and bought cranked storm hinges with I have never fitted in 20 years of carpentry and I can't seem to find any instructions anywhere ... my first thought is they won't work as the first movement of the back of the door is surly going to be towards the door jam ? Any help appreciated

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

They are for storm proof casement windows and not suitable for this job. Parliament hinges are the jobbies indeed.

KIAB likes this.
  3. I think I am right in saying, if I remember correctly they are normally fitted on EJMA casement window sashes.

4. Beat me to it Chippie.

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

But, what screws do you use?:D:p:p

6. BuilderCol

BuilderCol New Member

If it's standard architrave with no other obstructions you could probably get away with fitting standard hinges, just fit them with the knuckle sticking out a bit, if the centre of the pin of the hinge is 10mm from the face of the door it should be fine.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The correct ones for the job :):)

Joe95 likes this.
  8. Eddielee

Eddielee New Member

forgot to mention there's plinths at the bottom of the doors there about 30 mm 5 mm wider than the architrave I tried moving the original hinges out some but just couldn't move them out enough I know parliaments are the answer but he doesn't like the look of them I know what your saying about the cranked storm hinges but they do actually say on the packaging there for storm doors ?

9. BuilderCol

BuilderCol New Member

Cranked butts are for rebated sashes/doors. They won't work.
    If a standard butt won't do it, you can get a butt with a wider leaf, surely that would be enough?
    If the plinths are 30mm thick, then you only need 15mm (16 to be sure) to the centre of the pin

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Storm doors/windows are rebated in the frame all round.

11. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

parliament is right.

storm hinges are not that difficult, other than they might need some cutting in . but they usually simply screw onto the frame.

[​IMG]

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Won't work on a door though(storm hinges), for his purpose.

Eddielee, do yourself a favour, take the door off(if it is on) and place it in the open position you need it to be to miss whatever is behind it.
    Then you will see just where any hinge-pin will need to be to get it to work.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Joe95 likes this.
  14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Nope. He wants the door to open flatter against the hinge wall. Probably so there's more room to get past in a hallway or something.

Jutty out parliaments are jutty-outy, but could remove the architrave and skirting instead! (I know - not a proper solution)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Those hinges do typically open 180 degrees plus, fitted quite a few of them to disabled bathrooms and toilets