need to cut 4m long beech countertop lengthwise, my wife says tablesaw?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by seap, Apr 29, 2017.

1. seap

seap New Member

she wont let me cut it with a circular saw, says i cant possibly cut it straight, says we need to pay someone with a table saw to cut it. I say she is wrong, a circular saw is fine and probably what most carpenters woudl use. Who is right?
    thanks

2. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

As long as it's properly supported you should have no problem. It's the quality of the blade that is the most important factor, including its sharpness of course. Assuming you've got a decent circular saw with a flat bed that can be set at perfect right angles to the blade and a decent guide or dead true bit of wood you can clamp onto the top to slide the saw along I'd invest the money I'd pay someone else in buying a new blade if I hadn't got a decent one!

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Tell the wife she is wrong and not to get involved in things she knows nowt about, tell her to get on with the housework or shopping.

Clamp a guide on to the worktop if you're not confident
    or use a plunge saw.

If the cut is going on the wall it won't matter that much anyway.

longboat and KIAB like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easy with a guide rail & circular saw.

5. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

For something like that I would take off most with a circular saw, then set up a straight edge and router for the final trim.

Or cut by folk who have the right machinery setup for such.

6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Or a decent sharp handsaw and patience. You know, like it was always done.

CGN likes this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As said, if going against a wall then as long as it's reasonably straight then will be fine and as metro says, use a hand saw. £6 for a new saw and 15 mins work and will be done. I often use a hand saw for cutting worktops...just make sure you make the initial cut square if visible and as long as you keep to the line, it doesn't matter too much if the cut tapers in a bit along the rest of the length. You're more likely to damage the top taking it to and from a workshop as a 4m top is awkward and bloody heavy!

8. metrokitchens

I often handsaw a worktop to length before moving it. Hardly any dust which is good when it has been delivered into the clients front room. Takes longer to faff about setting up trestles and the track saw with a dust extractor.

CGN likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That's the old fashion way to do it.:D

10. (And make sure the worktop is upside-down when you use the circular saw (with guide) or else your wife will be very right. And we don't want that, do we...)

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Only if it's a laminate work top, solid wood worktop not needed.:)

12. Up yer botty... :)

13. metrokitchens

Think it is granite :eek:

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The problem with using a table saw is that is 4m long, so you will need a working space of at least 11m with the saw in the centre and it supported along its length.

To cut the worktop with a circular saw you are going to need a 5m straight edge (timber) to allow you to start and finish your cut safely and also avoid resetting the cut. You are still going to need a lot of room to cut the worktop and support it along its length as you cut. I would invest in a new high quality blade and some heavy duty clamps like these

upload_2017-4-29_19-9-44.png

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't beat Freud blades for quailty, only blades I use in my circular saw.

ramseyman likes this.
  16. Assuming he's only trimming orf a wee bit, then the saw's built-in guide fence will do :)

17. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I would find a local timber yard and ask them - a five minute job. For me, to drive to my local yard, gent sawn and drive back would be quicker than setting up a guide rail and saw.

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The fences on the majority of
    4m long - ow big a car do you have :eek: ?

leesparkykent likes this.
  19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Most circular saw fences are very poor. Trimming a little piece off rather than a big piece is more problematic because the back half of the fence is unsupported as the saw progresses through the cut and vibration from the off cut

KIAB likes this.
  20. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

So if it's upside down you can screw some battens to the bottom to use as a guide to run the saw along... the screw holes wont subsequently be seen!

However, assuming you do somewhere have a leftover cuttoff I'd practise on a dead waste piece first!

Good luck,

Regards,

Cando

KIAB likes this.