Need to Move a Mains Centarl Heating Thermostat

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by fred812, Oct 7, 2015.

1. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Its in the hall at the moment but want it be in the front room. Its located adjacent to the wall between the front and back room. Would it be ok to drill through horizontally and slightly diagonally from the hall into the wall between the front and back room, emerging into the room room? The wires would be buried.

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

You get your rad modified yet? 10 minute job.
    Or are they still freezing?

3. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Mebbe you should fit the stat directly to the rad . LoL.

4. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Still WIP Ryluer, getting somehing made up. Movng the stat into the cooler room will help with the slow response of those rads.

5. Hi Fred.

Yes, provided the cable isn't in a position where it could accidentally be drilled.

Where the new location is, the cable should either be coming to the 'stat in a straight line above or below or from the sides. Or from behind!

What about the old position - will the cable still be buried close to the surface on that side? If so, I'd suggest that you'd need to cover the old position with a blanking cap to indicate there's summat below.

6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Depends on the thickness of the wall mate.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  7. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Hi DA, yes a blanking plate would go over the old position which will have a small choc block to extend the wiring. The run would be horizontal.

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Horizontal runs are not allowed. Though I did one in my kitchen for the CH programmer.

9. So when you fit a series of double sockets on the kitchen wall above a worktop you should run the cable up to the ceiling (or from the floor) each time...?

10. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Horizontal runs in permitted zones are allowed. You already know this.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Have you forgotten to take your medication tonight? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I though all electrical wiring goes straight up to the ceiling.

13. They do.

Except for those that go down to the floor.

Or horizontally.

14. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Then my kitchen wiring isn't bodged after all?

15. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

What happens when someone runs the angle grinder through the cable thinking the wiring goes straight up?

16. The thinking is that if you are going to do work anywhere near a socket or switch, you should first check in all 4 directions in a straight line - up, down and sideways.

Ok, it's unlikely to be sideways unless there are further sockets very close by. But certainly in a kitchen where you will usually find a run of sockets and switches betwixt worktop and wall unit height, I would assume that the cable is running horizontally between them.

If you walk in to a room, there is usually no way you can be certain (other than investigating) whether the cables to sockets are coming up from the floor or down from the ceiling space.

17. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Thanks all. I always check for buried cables before drilling!

18. Hi Fred.

The reason we brought up the issue of buried cables is not in case you drill into one of them during this job, but to ensure that no-one in future drills into the cable you are now laying :)

You will be leaving a blanking cover over the old 'stat position? Cool - that's an indicator right away that there's likely to be leccy behind there. My concern was if anyone was to drill, say, to the side of that plate, could they strike your newly routed cable?

19. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Hi DA, no not that senario. Imagine a capital T as a plan view of the walls. The current stat is on the top (in the hall), right in the middle above the leg of the T. I'm going to drill straight down and slighty left to emerge on the left side of the leg of the T, ie in my front room. There will be a bit of cold chiseling to make a groove for the wire to get to the new location of the stat. So apart from the blanking plate in the hall, there will be no obvious indication that there is a horizontal run in the wall in the front room.

20. This one could run and run... :)

Soz, I can't work out the path you mean.

Do I take it that you are removing the old 'stat and then using a looooong drill bit to drill a hole from there into the wall pointing downwards (at what angle?) and also to the left, so you hopefully emerge through the other side near where the new 'stat will be?

In which case, if someone in the future were to drill a hole (gawd knows why...) below and to the left of your blanking plate, they could well drill into this cable?