Need to use power sockets for lights. How to go about it?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Richard Harnwell, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell New Member

Hi,

I'm using LightwaveRF to dim ceiling lights (on two or three circuits) in a cinema room. Unfortunately the inline dimmer has a flaw in that it doesn't dim up to the required level - it turns lights on at 100% then dims them down to the level required. As you can imagine, the last thing you want after watching a film in a darkened room is to be hit with lights at full brightness!

Anyway, the LightwaveRF dimmer sockets do have the functionality I need. I realise it's not ideal to use sockets for ceiling lights though. As I see it, I have two options; I either have power sockets on a lighting circuit, or have them on a ring main, but this would mean ceiling lights on a ring main.

Which is most acceptable? I'm in a bungalow, so these sockets would be in the loft. The switch itself will be a Mood Switch, which will also control lamps in the room.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Feed them from the ring via a fused connection unit with 3a or 5a fuse fitted.

3. Hi Richard.

Are you planning to fit a normal surface socket and plug your lights in with a 'fly' cable going up to the ceiling? There's no technical - regulation - reason I know of why this can't be done - just fit whatever fuse is adequate whilst providing the best safety. Eg 3A.

I would, tho', make a small notice to stick firmly to your 'fuse' box to make it clear to anyone carrying out leccy work that the 'cinema's' lights are on a particular ring main.

Surely, tho', there is a remote dimmer that'll do what you want? Surely worth the outlay for a much neater job?

4. Sen, I think the dimmer he is hoping to use needs to be 'plugged in' to a std socket.

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I have been reading about these switches. I think the mood switch would allow you to preset the dimming level. If you use the mood switch instead of the inline dimmer you should be able to achieve the desired results. It seems that the mood switch is remote controllable.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You sure you haven't wired the original dimmer backwards?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Whilst I was reading the posts, this is what I was thinking.:)

8. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell New Member

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I was thinking of having the sockets probably mounted on a beam in the loft above the cinema room, the dimmer sockets plugged into those and then a lead plugged into the dimmer sockets and onto the recessed lights. A bit unsure how best to do it as it as plugs are obviously normally wired with leads, lights would normally be wired with cable...

seneca - yep, that sounds good. How about a fused connection unit to a trailing 4 way socket, into which I plug the dimmer sockets?

Devil's Advocate - I'm already using LightwaveRF kit in other rooms, so I'd like to keep things consistent. Also, I'm not aware of other dimmer options that will meet my needs (RF remote+wall switch+tablet control, preset scenes to control multiple circuits covering light fittings and plugged in lamps) that wouldn't cost substantially more money.

unphased - yep, I'm planning on using a mood switch to preset the dimming level. It doesn't do the dimming itself though, just sends a wireless signal to something that actually does the dimming, so I still need an inline dimmer or dimming socket.

Mr. Handyandy & Phil the Paver - I think you're joking? Just in case you're not, I have 4 of the inline dimmers in my house, some wired by an electrician and some by me. I'm confident they're all connected correctly, and they all exhibit the same behaviour. The manufacturers have (finally) admitted as much to me, but still haven't given a coherent argument as to why! I think it probably relates to properties of some dimmable LEDs....

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

seneca - yep, that sounds good. How about a fused connection unit to a trailing 4 way socket-------

Yes that will be ok Richard, it will all be protected by the fuse in the FCU.

10. RikyD

RikyD New Member

I would suggest that the best cheap way to achieve the level of control you require and probably improve on it is to use a micro computer module like the adurino or Raspberry Pi Model B with an rf module or a hack to a handset to control your lighting. It takes a little more study time but the results are likely to be amazing. You could probably do this for less than a tenner but control every light just as you wish from a pc ,tablet or phone. Lots of you tube tutorials.