Neighbour smells

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Kjam, May 13, 2017.

1. Kjam

Kjam New Member

Hi
    I've been havin problems with my downstairs neighbours cooking smells. The smell is do bad it is spreading through my entire flay and makes the kitchen unusable. On speaking to him he is very dismissive. But I did manage to find out he has a ceiling fan which he uses and is probably 20 years old. I'm thinking the duct for the fan is worn and broken - is this possible and if so is there an easy way to check?
    Thanks

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

A tricky one! The only way you're going to sort this (without heavy leverage) is to get on side with your neighbour. Up to now they're blissfully unaware of the issue, so it's important that you approach them in a way that doesn't scare them, either with potential hostile behaviour or the possibility of costing them lots of money.

You need to friendly explain to them that although the smells of their cooking is lovely (can I have the recipe etc :rolleyes:) that you're constantly having to wash your clothes and soft furnishings when there is probably something very simple (and cheap) amiss and would you mind if we can take a look at a convenient time. Something along those lines to start with anyway :)

Kjam and KIAB like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Give them some cooker hood brochures...:D

gadget man and Kjam like this.
  4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

That or take away menus. :p:p:p

Kjam likes this.
  5. Kjam

Kjam New Member

Yeah my problem is he's pretty aggressive (especially when he's not getting his own way) and is not prone to telling the truth. He went from only ever eating ready meals to suddenly using the grill and fan the night before (when there was a smell) when he was asked if he had been cooking the night before. Then quickly reverted back to never using his fan ever, all in the same sentence.
    I'm not clued up on how fans work etc but I'm guessing it's like anything that it'll wear with time. I'm guessing there must be some tubing that comes from the fan to take it outside? So I'm going on the lines it's the tube or join that's given way? I guess im really needing to know the structure of the fans to know what to suggest to him first.

6. Kjam

Kjam New Member

Haha yes think that would be quickly be binned.

7. Kjam

Kjam New Member

Hahaha

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If the cooker dosen't extract to the outside, then have a plastic pipe fitted through the wall then it should have a charcole filter to neutralise cooking smells.

Kjam likes this.
  9. Kjam

Kjam New Member

I think the fan goes to the outside (not a cooker hood it's a fan fitted into the ceiling), so would this be the same and have a pipe from the fan to the outside?

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Are the cooking smells stronger in your flat or equally pungent when outside

As fan in ceiling, possibly flexi duct which is paper thin and may have split. Fan is clearly working and pumping cooking smells up from kitchen and under floorboard (if duct has split)

Cooking smells could also be correctly vented outside and fan working nicely, but due to positioning of vent, smell is entering your flat

Any difference with a window open or closed and do you know where the vent is sited

Kjam likes this.
  11. Kjam

Kjam New Member

Hiya thanks for your input.
    you can smell it outside but not near as bad as in my flat. The smell is always the same too and just started a few months ago.
    Not sure where the vent is outside but I'll have a wee look in case that's something that's adding to to it. Window wise it's definately better with my window is open.

12. romangreek

romangreek New Member

CGN should be on the brexit team what a considerate person,

leesparkykent, Kjam and CGN like this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Ask him to fix it also ask him if he likes hospital food and drinking through a straw! :D;)

CGN likes this.
  14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The safety of being 'at arms length' in our little virtual community of love :D

Astramax likes this.
  15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Don't forget to also mention, which leg he would prefer to have the limp on:eek::D!

CGN likes this.
  16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Considerate!! Must be a fluke today! :D

Astramax likes this.
  17. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Can't you lift a floor board to take a peep at the ducting run.

Kjam likes this.
  18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If it is several flats the lease holder or you have a maintenance company, I would contact them. I wouldn't mention "cooking smells" just mention smoke or burning coming from the downstairs flat - that should have an immediate effect

Kjam and BMC2000 like this.
  19. Kjam

Kjam New Member

Ah didn't realise I'd be able to get access my end - thanks

20. Kjam

Kjam New Member

Afraid were all privately owned but thanks for the suggestion