neighbouring council house scaffolding preventing my extension.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kaned93, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

hi there I'm in the process of building a single storey extension, council have decided to redo the roofs of their properties(my adjoined neighbor) brickies are coming monday which I had told the council and roofing company they proceeded to extend the scaffold poles over where this blocks need to be laid and are not getting back to me about moving it. am I in my right to cut of the ends about 2ft otherwise it's going to cost me alot of money resched the bricklayer at such short notice. thanks in advance Kane.

2. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

I think you would be on fairly ropey ground if you cut pieces off their scaffold poles. I assume the scaffolding protrudes onto you land from what you say? When are their roofers due to complete their job- might work out ok?

If your job is delayed and you are left out of pocket as a result of them extending their scaffolding onto your land I would have thought you have good grounds to recoup your costs from the council. take pictures and leave an email trail if possible with who in the council you have spoken to. Detail phone calls if possible.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Did they have permission to put scaffolding over your land? I would guess not.

I would suggest that you inform them, in writing or by email (with delivery and read receipts requested) that you want their scaffolding removed from overhanging you land before midday tomorrow (Friday) or you will get professionals to deal with the problem and the council will be fully liable for your cost for undertaking the work and delays in starting your own work.

Technically cutting the poles is interfering with the scaffold and even if they are over your land you could be liable for criminal damage and also health and safety issues as only scaffolders are supposed to alter the installation.

KIAB likes this.
  4. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

it crosses the boundary by about 5 ft and the extension wall by 3 ft I rung them soon as they put it up they said it would be down by Friday tomorrow no works have been carried out at all and they were aware I had bricklayer to come out Monday I can't afford to lose time as I have everyone lined up around date of completion of blockwork. they have said they will phone me back but have heard nothing. phoned again and have had no answers.

5. As said above do NOT cut or adjust or touch that scaffolding - it will be criminal damage at the very least.

You have brickies coming out on Monday and the scaffolding is coming down tomorrow? So there isn't actually a problem?

Put the council 'on notice' - in writing - that if the scaffolding causes any delay to your building work, they will be liable for any extra costs charged by your builder.

And then chill.

KIAB likes this.
  6. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

no they said it would be finished tomorrow but they haven't started so it'll be up a few more weeks. pushing everything back for me who's actually got to pay for works to be carried out.

7. Oh.

In that case you need to speak to the council's project manager to explain what's going on - and to explain that they are liable for any additional costs by your builder.

Get your message in writing along with proof it was delivered. And record his reply.

Then sue them using MoneyClaim.org and you will win. Almost certainly.

What is the council guy actually saying to you when you explain the situation?

8. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

that it's too short notice to be removed and it's not their fault work has been delayed. the poles literally need sliding 2 ft to the left but he won't arrange it as the roofer sub contracted the scaffolding out. nightmare stress! appreciate the advice

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Work has been delayed probably due to the wet and windy weather, I feel for these roofers loss of income due to conditions, I doubt if your brickies will start work on time if the torrential rain continues.

10. And did they give you any notice of this work on the neighbouring properties?

If they didn't, then he's lost that particular stupid - and non-existent - argument.

If they did give you notice, did it include that they'd 'trespass' over your boundary? And if they did all this - did you agree to allow them to?

Do you have Legal Protection included in your house insurance? If so, call them up and ask their advice. If you don't, then call or visit your local CAB.

KIAB likes this.
  11. Good point - what are your builders saying about this?

12. Pollowick

Go back and tell him that he must get it removed and that his failure will result in ALL of your additional costs will be charged to the council. Remind him, he is their "Project Manager" and his job is to manage the situation, not to ignore problems.

13. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

I
    i am sympathetic to the roofer losing money but still frustrating as the 2 horizontal poles did not need to extend over so far there's no need even the roofer manager agreed!

14. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

we had no letter at all the tenant next door claims he had no idea of the work either this is why I booked brickies etc on the dates I have. and if weather stops the brickies working that's out of my control. the scaffold is in their control.

15. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

the pm seems very lethargic and being rude a bit dopey no help at all so far. I will have to take it into my own hands and deal with the consequences later I fear

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't take matters into your own hands, you could face criminal damage, h&s breaches & other charges.

17. Pollowick

Get hold of your local councillor, NOW. Tell him of the situation and remind him that the council could be liable for thousands of pounds of additional costs including legal fees if the PM does not have the problem dealt with - it is a 10 minute job that will cost next to nothing but the PM cannot be bothered.

Just make sure you have everything documented.

And don't touch it yourself ...

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  18. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

I will phone who I can find trouble is I can't afford to stump up the extra costs and then have to wait for it to be reimbursed I wish I did

19. Pollowick

Is the name of the Scaffold Erector displayed anywhere? It normally is, and if so, call them directly and tell them it needs moving and that they need to invoice the council

20. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

can only find roofing company name which won't touch it as the subbed it out they are not allowed