Neighbours gas boiler Flue

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jonsey67, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Jonsey67

Jonsey67 New Member

What I meant by, used part of my garden. For storage and to make it easier to put up scaffolding and put in the foundation. Without this permission, the cost of the work would have been higher as more difficult.

It is partly this experience and breach of trust that is part of my thought process. Do they really think, that I will let them do what they want, without even asking properly.

2. Jonsey67

Jonsey67 New Member

But is over the boundary, so they need my consent, which they did not ask for properly.

3. honestbob

honestbob Member

As I understand it all flues must be sighted so that if you decide to build a wall up to your boundary and as high as you like the flue is still within regulations, ie you have to imagine the boundary as a brick wall in the first place. Even if you get written consent from a neighbour, the next person to live in your house might decide to build a big extension. Can't remember where I read this, but I'm sure it was either in the Installer magazine, of Gas Engineer. Like this (TB016):

"Terminal Requirements
    The primary legislation concerning the safe installation, maintenance and use of gas systems and appliances, (eg in GB-the gas safety (installation and use) regulations (GRIUR)) in particular regualtion 27(5) states: "No person shall install a flue other than in a safe position." Guidance Note 182 of the Approved Code Of Practice and Guidance to the GB GRIUR then states:

"A flue(including any terminal) should be installed in a position which ensures that it will operate effectively and that products of combustion will safely disperse and not present a hazard to any person, whether in the premises in which the associated appliance is installed (eg by being located a safe distance from vents and open-able windows), or in adjoining/neighbouring premises. <u>The location needs to take into account any possible developments in neighbouring property, eg building extensions. Any flue should therefore be sited so as to discharge at a safe distance from any boundary with adjoining premises;</u> references should be made to requirements in Building Regulations and appropriate standards, as applicable."

<u></u>

4. honestbob

honestbob Member

Sorry, didn't mention that's technical bulletin 016 from the gassaferegister, published in their gas installer magazine I think, and on their installer's website, so its current and applicable.

5. midlands heating

midlands heating New Member

just fit a plume management kit and redirect flue away from boundry cost about £100 job done and problem solved !!

6. Jonsey67

Jonsey67 New Member

If TB 16 from GSR is correct and current, they should not be installing, so the flue is over the boundary.

I understand document J is not totally relevant, as the flue is unlikely to be a nuissance, but as the flue is to be over the boindary and not within, it is totally up to me as their neighbour whether I consent or not.

They ambushed me two days ago, expecting me to say yes and I said I didn't think possible, that they would need to check, concerns about future problems if raised when selling the house.

They just went ahead as already planned but I managed to stop the installers before they added the flue. Has I not been around, they would have just fitted without my consent.

So s*d them for not just consulting and not asking me for my permission by telling me the truth about the situation.

Earlier I even went around, to give qualified consent, but they were out. Now, having sought various opinions, I am undecided.

7. honestbob

honestbob Member

Sorry midlands, but the terminal still has to be in a satisfactory position complying with all regs before the plume kit is fitted. The kit is just to manage a nuisance plume, not to make an illegal terminal legal. Thats in TB016 too, "a plume management kit should not be used to circumvent the requirement to correctly locate any flue/chimney termination or air inlet position". Anyway I think the man said the boiler isn't condensing.

TB016 is current and correct, if you send me your email address I can send you a copy. All in all it is wrong to fit a terminal over someone else's boundary. You shouldn't even fit one facing too close to a boundary, these blokes are cowboys who don't know their stuff.

8. Jonsey67

Jonsey67 New Member

Bob

Can I send my email address, without having to add to a public forum ?

There does not appear to be private message facility on this site.

9. howlsatthemoon

howlsatthemoon New Member

do not let this happen. whatever the legality of the matter is, it stands to give you grief and will be detrimental to your enjoyment of your property. they are taking the pish. if they can afford to carry out a fair bit of work then they should be factoring in a vertical flued boiler and not trying it on with you. arrogant twernts!!

10. honestbob

honestbob Member

You've got me there on the email address, I have no idea. Little help anyone?

11. Jonsey67

Jonsey67 New Member

Bob

Not to worry. If the gas fitters come back, I will ask them to check TB16 about termination of the flue.

I did ask them to check yesterday about compliance. But they did not come back to me.

Not being funny but as someone that does not deal with these matters as part of their job, unless I have a legal contract with the contractor that I have come back on, I would be more cautious. Only the neighbour would have legal come back with the contractor, which is not much good to me.

I have a feeling the Gas fitter concerned, were actually using this to their advantage. I advised them, before they got into the work of not having given consent. They moved the boiler, knowing that if they moved the boiler to the new position, but not applying the flue, that they would put their customer in a difficult position. If the neighbour (me) did not consent, they would make more money, from replacing the boiler.

All I ask for are good manners and professional people to act properly. If they do, then I have no problem.

12. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Personally I think you are over re-acting and making a drama out of a minor slight - BUT - it is your home and garden and you are well within your rights to make a fuss and insist the flue is moved if you want to.

Why they are moving a 9 year old boiler and not taking the opportunity to fit a new one seems bonkers!

Email: The easiest thing to do is to create a new email address using hotmail or google mail, not include your real name and use that to post on here. Hope that helps.

13. Jonsey67

Jonsey67 New Member

I probably am over reacting, but they have triggered a real pet hate of mine. Being consulted at, not asking for my consent and then just going ahead without telling me 2 days later. The saying "do not treat others in ways you would not like to be treated" applies here.

Had they just explained the situation, I would have happily consented, subject to something in writing from them.

Anyway, thanks for the help of all those that have posted.

14. imran_

imran_ New Member

Your next problem is that if it is JUST protruding the boundary then you get into a boundary dispute ;)

Calm down dear, its only a flue!

15. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Neighbour looking to re-site existing boiler to their loft space, with flue about 6 metres above my back garden, across the boundary.
    Irrespective of what Building Regulations say, if the flue is over your land, then your neighbour is committing a trespass.

16. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

And forgive us our trespasses,
    as we forgive those who trespass against us. ... :)

17. imran_

imran_ New Member

Lead us into temptation
    For the wenches at the lodge are buxom ;)

18. Jonsey67

Jonsey67 New Member

Just to update. Flue has not been added now. Think new boiler with flue through their roof going in.

I have calmed down now, angry on the first day of posting. Had they not sprung this on me and dealt with it properly, I would not have minded.

Lessons learnt.

If you are having works done, which includes anything over a boundary, speak to the neighbour before you instruct for work to take place. Give the neighbour reasonable notice, so they can look into any issues. Ask the neighbour for their consent ( in writing preferable) before you go ahead with the work. Don't leave it to the last minute, consult the neighbour and then arrange for the work, even after they have raised concerns.

It would be different if it was an emergency situation, where boiler had to be moved. This was not.

If I were GSR installer, I think if I were re-siting a boiler with a flue over a boundary, I would be a bit more cautious. I would not want to go ahead with work, when there was any issue about regs and where I was unsure whether the neighbour had consented or not. To do so, would risk the chance of having to do work for free later, if there was a dispute.

Hope this help anyone with any similar issues in the future and thanks to all who have replied to the thread.

19. Fada Mach

Fada Mach New Member

Good result, Jonsey, probably as a result of you making it clear you were not happy and would look into it further.

1st thing - the boiler should have been replaced by a condensing model as it was being shifted. That it wasn't suggests that your neighb is a tight b'st'rd AND the gas fitter was complicit in this.

2nd thing - the flue terminal should not pass over your boundary. End of (as far as I know.)

I suspect that, once you showed 'concern' over these matters, they both knew that, ultimately, you could stop them.

I don't blame you for being pi$$ed-off; you were more than generous in allowing them to use your land, and this is how they repay you.

Pitiful barstewards.

20. honestbob

honestbob Member

Have things change? I thought you could fit a second hand boiler if you had the manual, and it was only new purchased boilers that had to be band A? Not something I know about, never had to do it. Anyone know where it says this? I( like to show the customer why I can't do something)