Never seen this before

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by sospan, Aug 1, 2016.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Got a call today from a woman - there is a small trail of water coming from behind the toilet. Usual thing "will I be able to use my toilet because I am desperate !! Told her to go ahead but turn the little tap on the pipe when she has finished. A few minutes later she calls me back and tells me she has turned off the water but asked why is there polystyrene coming out of the back of the toilet.

Anyway stopped what I was doing and went over to have a look, there was a trail of water and a mound of polystyrene chips in the corner by the toilet which was one those where all the pipe is concealed but had been fitted at an angle into a corner. Dismantled the pipework and tilted the pan up to have a look. Underneath the pan there was more polystyrene and my face fell when I saw what looked like a huge mound of cocktail sausages underneath the pan!

I thought that's it the soil pipe has come adrift and waste had built up and there is no way am I going to clean this up. I then realised they aren't what I thought they were - they were dog biscuits!! Then I spotted the tell-tale hole in the wall underneath the soil pipe - rat! The rat had eaten its way through the expanding foam (hence the polystyrene chips) that had been used to seal around the pipe and had been pinching some of her dog’s food and built a cache under the toilet.

I have seen many rat’s nests in my time and have seen debris where they had dragged stuff off to feast on later but have never seen them build a store of food like a squirrel.

2. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Pics!

Actually, maybe not...

It's crazy how good rats are at being destructive

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I worked for a large garage once. The office staff commented that they kept loosing biro lids. I had spotted piles of them above the suspended ceiling, with rodent poo. My apprentice commented "odd how the rodents just like the blue ones". To which the staff replied "we only have blue".

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One of the things I was cursing today was that my phone kept on ringing but there was no way I was going to put my hand in my pocket to answer it let alone take a picture :eek::eek:

5. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Blimey Sos that's all you want before your dinner lol

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Watch some rats make food store in a shed on some high ground,after days of heavy rain, the lower area eventually flooded under several feet of water for a few weeks.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Do you think they know more than we do ....

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You only have to see animals reations prior to earthquakes & other natural events.

Was repointing old stableblock, I had watch these rats for several days, take beding, food, to a old shed further up the steep track, thought it was just the noisy building work making them move out.
    Intresting to watch them, it then started raining late one afternoon, & after several days rain, the brook broke it's bank & flooded the yard to a depth about 12" for about a week.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  9. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Animals are strange creatures,some years ago I had a german shepherd,it was a trainee police dog,we were all asleep and the dog was lying at the side of the bed.All of a sudden we were woken by a low growling sound,we listened but couldn't hear anything,the dog leapt onto the bed and was growling at the window.I still couldn't hear anything and looked outside,there was a strange orange glow coming from behind a house over the road,suddenly I realised what it was,there was a fire and it was an old man living on his own.
    I ran over and began hammering on his front door and eventually he answered,he was quite deaf and had heard nothing,vandals had broken in to steal his moped and had set fire to the garage.We'd never have known if it wasn't for the dog.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

All the dogs we have had over the years have served and saved us on many occasions, a St Bernard we had used to watch over our youngest and as soon as his heart stopped would head butt his cot to start him breathing again. Even the Cereberous we have now started growling at my wifes leg and pawing at it - a few days later she was taken into hospital with a blood clot in her leg ...