New basin mixer tap - pulsating pipe when hot water used

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Markp1980, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Markp1980

Markp1980 New Member

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can help me with a problem I am having with a new mixer tap.

I changed my old monobloc mixer tap for a new 'Cooke and Lewis Cirque Thermostatique' monobblock basin mixer tap and since I did, if i set it to use any hot water i.e not just cold , the cold water feed pipe is vibrating/pulsating slightly when the tap handle is at a certain point. If I turn the tap past that point ,it stops which leads me to believe it could be a pressure issue. This did not happen with my old tap but this new one is a themostatic type so I don;t know if that makes them work differently - as in the way the water is mixed within the tap.

The tap came with two single check valves but I haven't fitted them - I have just connected the tap the same way as the other one was.

Can anyone tell me if fitting these single check valves might address the issue please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This has been worrying me incase it can do any damage and cause a leak.

Thanks very much.

Mark

2. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

It's because a thermo tap mixes internally, if you have a difference in pressure, (do you have unvented cyl)? The greater pressure will back feed the lower pressure, if it came with DCV's I'd fit them, if this doesn't sort it give us a shout

3. Markp1980

Markp1980 New Member

Ah that's great, thanks for getting back to me. I will fit them and hopefully that will sort it out.

Yes I believe I do have an unvented cyclinder - the heater is a Gledhill Pulsarcoil A Class if that means anything to you?

4. G&W Plumbing & Heating

unvented cyls have a 3bar pressure reducing valve on cold main before entry to cyl, people in the know take a cold supply to house after this but before the DCV, this way you have what's called "balanced" supply's, if you don't have this the cold can be 5bar, you can put a separate PRV on cold main at entry point but then you should have a dedicated cold to cyl before this as you will then reduce it twice, most people put a 3bar PRV on entry & it works fine with no realisation of there error, see how you get on there lots of ways to resolve anything, let us know if you need any help

5. Markp1980

Markp1980 New Member

Thanks for your help.

If I bought a standard mixer tap i.e one that doesn't mix internally would that mean I wouldn't get this issue? I am tempted to send it back and get a standard mixer. I am not a plumber and the idea of upsetting anything scares me haha

6. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Yes to be honest thermo basin mixers are rare, showers & baths normally, you will struggle to get ya ££ back though, try the check valves 1st