New build...getting started!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by s.bury, Aug 31, 2015.

1. s.bury

s.bury Member

Hi, I am demolishing a small brick barn to make way for a new bungalow. Knocking down was easy enough and entertaining for me and the kids (damn sight cheaper than days out to alton towers!) now I have massive piles of reclaimed bricks, hundreds of brick halfs and a mountain of rubble. There is 40 m sq of concrete slab to break up also. I am quite keen to be green and save money on skips (road too small for skip wagons also). My thinking is break up everything and load into a red rhino mini concrete crusher to later recycle as backfill and hardcore. My labours are free, kids are cheap (worked for cornettos and tins of pop) and a mini crusher is about 200 quid a day. Am I mad and wasting my efforts or is this a do-able plan? Do BCO or builders object to homemade hardcore?! I googled making hardcore videos and it wasn't terribly fortuitous for me.

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Sounds like a good idea, it can be used for the oversites, under a patio, walkways, driveway, whatever really.

The bricks look nice, if your not reusing them in the new build, maybe use them in any form of landscaping, or sell them to a reclaim yard, might get enough to cover the hire costs of the crusher.

3. s.bury

s.bury Member

So far cleaned up 1000 bricks as most are lime cement and it's soft like putty. It just seemed a shame to landfill the lot as building was about 200 yr old. It will give me the excuse to play bob the builder and lay bricks for flower bed borders or random bits of wall...although making a folly or moon gate is a future to do also. It took a while for folks locally to accept the building had cracks and was unsafe.

Attached Files:

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Did Ryuler build that?

5. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

Ooooh this sounds like a great project :) can we see all the photos along the way please :D

Lovely that you've managed to save so many of the old bricks. Nice that they can become part of the garden and remain at their original home. I like that idea :)

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Make a feature fireplace or wall from them, making sure your seal the wall if used indoors.:)

If you sell them, you make more on Ebay, than a reclaim yard.

miss pickle likes this.
  7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

No God did, :p:p

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Same thing isn't it :eek::eek:

9. miss pickle

A fireplace out of the original bricks sounds a lovely idea!!! :)
    That's what I would do. And I'd have a walled herb garden :)

10. miss pickle

Could have a brick BBQ too :)

11. s.bury

s.bury Member

The brick fireplace is definite now! Good thinking

miss pickle and KIAB like this.
  12. miss pickle

Excellent!!! You have to have to christen it with champagne and video it for screwfix smiley-flag013.gif oh blimey you are British yeah? :oops: Well I don't know do I :eek:

13. miss pickle

Well its the only flag I got Mr bury. I can find a more suitable one if needs be!

God I'm so presumptuous :( sorry

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Part of driveway or path another idea for bricks.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Something that suits the room, sometimes just fireplace is enough, or depending on style of house, a feature wall with a fireplace for a wood burning stove can set the room off.

16. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

stack them up in the hallway, point a spotlight at them. hey-ho, modern art.

17. miss pickle

therethere.gif

Bless him :rolleyes::rolleyes: or more to the point his wife :oops:

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Someone, somewhere, is probably getting thousands of visitors a day doing just that. :eek:

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

19. s.bury

s.bury Member

Well on the basis of trips to MOMA and other modern art places, ESP MIMAS in middlesbrough a stack of wood is NOT art because it is useful, of natural materials and shows some skill in creating! Think more of pretentious useless tat that ought to be landfill and this is potentially art....

I was shocked miss pickles at that flag....I thought they'd been replaced by blue ones with yellow stars!;)

Does anyone know if mini concrete rushers are ok to load manually as all videos I've seen show manly fellas with diggers!

20. miss pickle

Yes it says you can load them by hand :)

For a few more cornettos and some more pop the kids might help again ;)