New installation inspection

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Peter88, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Peter88

Peter88 New Member

I passed my 17th Edition back in 2008. But never worked as an electrician.
    In 2012 prior to retirement I built a pair of semis on my own land. (My pension).
    Myself and a mate (also passed, also not registered) did the electrics. We also did everything else too.
    I failed to notify the council about the installation because I didn't know and planned on having it inspected anyway.
    Its all complete and the electric board have given us a date that is quite some way off for full connection.
    Meantime it is connected to the original property via 11mm cable.
    Will an inspection work with such a connection?
    Can I self certify?
    Any constructive advice welcome. I need the completion from the council urgently.
    Thanks

2. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Make out the required BS7671 forms and just take em into your local building control pay the fee and they sort the rest out and issue the necessary. Take your C&G Cert as well to prove your a qualified electrician they also wanted to see my Part P cert. That's all I did they sent out a guy to inspect and test, now they know me they just issue the necessary not that i do that many notifiable jobs any way.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  3. Peter88

Peter88 New Member

Thanks.
    But will the connection as described produce a pass? I'm concerned about the earth.
    Also which colour form is it?

4. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

5. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

6. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

You can carry out the dead tests now as to the EARTH that depends on what sort of supply they give you.
    You may have to ditch the temporary supply as well before they arrive they get rather tetchy over things like that lol

7. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Actually, to properly conduct an insulation resistance test the means of Earthing for the installation must be connected.

8. Peter88

Peter88 New Member

And I presume that extending the older properties earth (which is what we have for the time being) won't give the right result?

What if I fitted an earthing pole?

Waiting for the full connection is very much a hindrance its a long way off.

9. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Well you wont be able to complete the forms with out the supply connected any way as you'll need to know the Ipf and Ze and the earthing arrangements

10. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I dont see why you cant export the other properties connection, as long as its not a PME then the new house is just a secondary board fed from a submain.

I say PME, is it still a construction site? you could always bring a 10mm earth across as well if not.

Did you not tell the council at the time you were doing your own electrics, I presume there were site visits from the council. The question is usually asked if the electrician is registered on the building regs forms and if you said you were doing your own then its down to the council to do the completion, if they didn't do ongoing checks then its down to them to sort it.

11. Peter88

Peter88 New Member

Building control visited the site throughout the build. But that was 3 years ago, I ran out of cash and couldn't complete. I since saved up and finished one off.
    Everything thing else has been inspected and he's ready to sign it off. The electrics were never mentioned and in any case I had no idea that actual connection would take so long.
    I have two choices fill in the forms on my own behalf, or get an inspection done. I'm happy to have it inspected but just can't wait for the full connection, hence my question. No point asking someone to come only to be told it can't pass because of the earth.
    Having never actually done electrics for gain I have no experience of this. I know we did everything right, it isn't a complicated installation, and we checked the book for everything.

I could bring a 10mm earth over as a temporary fix and /or install a rod.

12. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

For connection the DNO workers will more than likely want to see a scheme registration number on the cert. And they weren't born yesterday.
    As for the readings for earth: TT it for the testing.

13. peter palmer

Just download the certs from the IEE site, fill them in with the sub main as the supply and hand them to the council. When they ask for an "NICEIC" certificate tell them you told them at the time you were doing it yourself, odds on they wont beable to find the paperwork from 3 years ago, show them your 17th and mither them every day until they sign it off.

As for the DNO and asking for a scheme number, what do they do when its a commercial connection? the IET form should be good enough.

14. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If you already registered the job with BC then I would assume this should cover your electrics. I think your bigger problem will be all the amendments that have happened in the last three years which I would expect you will now have to adhere to, first one being metal cu's. If you put your own name on the cert remember you could be held responsible later should any of your work cause any kind of damage you could be sued for, which is why most sparx have insurance. Would have thought you would have to get the supply sorted before you can do anything, can't really see why they should kick off about anything.

15. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I don't know any commercial installers who aren't scheme members. Be that NICEIC, ECA, NAPIT...

16. peter palmer

Maybe not but they cant refuse a connection to someone who is not in a scheme if they have wired it. As long as its safe. The last connection I had was just an RCD unit screwed to the wall with a couple of sockets off it.

17. peter palmer

You only have to follow the regs that were in force at the time you started the job, even though it may be years later.

I half expect some of the posters here to be still signing off jobs under the 16th edition the amount regulations the like to scrutinize before they do anything.

18. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You know it, I know it, BC won't. Unless it's squeaky clean they won't touch, imo and experience....

19. nffc

nffc Active Member

We do multiple new installations that require new DNO connections and they have never requested to see a certificate. This is why they do not connect your tails up anymore. The final connection to there unsealed side of the isolator is the customers responsibility.

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

On the rewires we did which entailed hooking up to a new meter, the meter chap always did an ir across the tails before connecting (L + N to E) - what's its like nowadays I don't know. Om other installations which had a new supply run in by the DNO they never asked for a cert - again what its like nowadays I don't know.