New Roof - Bonding Gutter Position

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by JP., Sep 11, 2015.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

IMG_3808.JPG

Evening lads. Just had roof tiling done (terraced 2 bed) and I am not happy with certain aspects of the job. 1 : - we had a leak from the flashing around the chimney after the roof was tiled, and the roofer had to call a 2nd party to re-flash it with new lead, now no problem but we was quoted for new flashing in the first place - 2nd party were professionals and a good company.

Now my prime concern is the bonding gutter - as you can see the mortar bonding strip lies well under my new tiles (Redland 49) and there is virtually nowt on my neighbours side - to make it worse the bonding gutter cants to the left leaving even less as you look up at the roof.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

PS they have not used any mortar on the bonding strip

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

IMG_3799 - Copy.JPG

Also on the right hand side top - the mortar has cracked, do you reckon this will let in water?

Thanks Lads.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

That looks a right mess.

Pointing on ridge tiles, lazy, badly finished.

Muck all over the tiles.

Joint between roofs very bad and will almost certainly leak.

Flashing on chimney not the tidiest I've ever seen.

I'd be getting um back to sort it out.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Cheers Phil - yes you have reinforced my greatest concerns - now to get everything ready to have it out with the guy who got the roofers in - I trusted the chap and he has twisted two old people, me and my wife. You really cant trust many people nowadays Phil..that roof cost us a lot of money.

Phil grateful m8.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I rewrote my post because at my end it hadn't posted????

But it still says the same in a roundabout way.

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Phil - to be honest I'm pretty much gutted - Ill have to have it looked at by another company and approach the chap who did my roof. The most important part of the house. Your not in the Edgware, Middlesex catchment area by any chance Phil?

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Hi JP

I tiled a roof last year using Redland 49's. I am not a roofer but have done another one using 1 experienced roofer so have some experience.

upload_2015-9-11_20-54-17.png upload_2015-9-11_20-54-37.png

There are new regulations regarding the fixing of roof tiles and ridge tiles which became mandatory from Feb 2015. Roofers have often nail the first 2 rows of tiles on the roof then every 5th row after, the last 2 rows also are nailed. The new regs now call for each tile to be secured using a fixing, i understand that there was some debate regarding this in the industry.

It now requires ridge tiles to not solely rely on a mortar bedding to secure the tile, but the use of a mechanical fixing as well.

The system I used was Klober dry ridge vent, this allowed for a mechanical system to be used instead of using mortar, as well as providing a continuous air gap of 10mm each side of the tile.

Do you know whether the roofer used breathable felt as an underlayas well as felt support trays (not a requirement, i believe bu worth having)?

You mention your house is in a middle of terrace house, the house to your left is higher so the rooflines do not merge, what happens on the right hand side, are the house on a slope?

the picture you have posted is that showing the next-doors roof, using a different tile, maybe Marley Wessex?

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

sorry i can understand you first post.

The bonding gutter doesn't look correctly fitted.

this is how it should be fitted.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

It would be quite interesting to see how the lead work 'front aprons' has been finished to the front of the chimney. It could have been better dressed. Does look like patination oil has been used.

Its definitely not a Marley Wessex tile.

Looks similar to a Roman tile but not a double. The original tiles are also clay in composition.

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hi Jit and many thanks for your reply. I have come to the conclusion that the roof will have to be retiled, as I now fully accept the fact that I have been ripped off. I can confirm that the roofer did use breathable felt but even that was not fixed properly.

The houses are all the same height and the neighbours tiles are the same ones as I had taken off - there are large gaps under the tiles and they are very loose. The new regs you have posted are very handy as this gives me some leverage for when I approach the chap who got the roofers in. The job you have done is neat and tidy, wish I had managed to get someone with that mind set. Once again thanks very much Jit.

PS : - No felt support trays Jit

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  11. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Hi JP
    I am not that up on domestic roofing apart from welsh slate systems.
    Looks like Jitender has given advice already.
    Sorry to hear you have been given grief over this project.
    Only thing I can add is to ask BC to take a look and get an opinion to add weight to your complaint ?
    Keep us updated.
    cheers
    RS

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have also had a stressful time with my window install using a window company. the company were FENSA registered. It has been expensive and after 9 months a conclusion still has not been met, i employed solicitors to act on my behalf, so can understand your anger.

My local building control department are quite helpful in these matters. Although they won't get involved in the actual dispute. They may provide to carry out an inspection of the work and write this down in a log which they can can provide to you.

This is quite a good site to describe the roof replacement process, and he does have some good videos as well.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Felt support trays are very cheap and I don't see why the roofer has omitted to install these. The prevent pooling of water ate the eaves section. Also because breathable felt should not be left exposed for too long it can deteriorate with UV (many makers only recommend felt to be left exposed between 4-6 months depending on the manufacturer). Again these can be retrofitted, it will just mean that the first2 rows will need to be removed in order for the trays to be fitted, will be a tad difficult since the first 2 rows would now have been nailed.

You mention that the breathable felt was not secured correctly, as long as the felt is quite taut and there is not much deflection/sag between the rafters it would be ok, so a long as it has been sufficiency overlapped.

I have also noticed that the overlap of the undelfet should also be battened to prevent wind uplift. There are also manufactures of felt which don't require this extra batten to be fixed.

Many makers have this printed on the topside of the felt so can be difficult to do it wrong.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is Redlands' guide to the new BS 5534 regs.

Many roof manufactures have devised their own products to secure each tile/slate.

KIAB likes this.