New Tea Point Plumbing

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Michael Leslie, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Michael Leslie

Michael Leslie New Member

Hello,

We are planning to install a small tea point in our office in a room next to the toilet. The toilet has mains cold feed and a small sink with a 36mm waste pipe disappearing into the concrete floor (as does the WC waste). We are on the ground floor. Assume they meet up as there is a man hole in the alley behind with a drain next to in - the building gutters drain into this.

Trying to work out what our best option is for the waste pipe from the kitchen sink we want in the tea point.

1/ Out the wall into the alley then either through a boss into the down pipe - or straight into the drain.

2/ Our preferred option is to run the waste through the wall into Toilet and connect up with the waste in the small hand wash sink. Would a 36mm pipe be large enough for two sinks and dishwasher running?

Ideally we don't want to have to go out into the alley as the building is leased and landlord has been nervous before about drilling new holes.

Also is there any issue with taking a T connection off the 15mm cold feed to the WC to supply the new tea point? The 15mm pipe would need to feed a sink, 15litre water heater and dishwasher.

All thoughts gratefully received!

Thanks

Mike

2. Teeing in to the 15mm mains pipe ain't a problem - this is normal.

The waste could be, however.

What you need to watch out for is 'syphoning'. If you imagine the basin in the loo being filled up and then the plug opened, the gush of water tries to draw air along with it - and this could easily affect the new sink's trap, emptying it and leaving it 'open', allowing smells to come back out.

I suspect you'll need an air admittance valve installed in this waste pipe, but where exactly I shall leave to the pro's...:)

PRO'S?!

3. Michael Leslie

Many thanks, will get someone in to have a look, sounds like we need to bring a pipe out the wall into the alley..... Somewhere!

4. I'm sure doing it internally is ok, but you'd need to ensure that no sucky-syphoning occurs.

PROS?!

Where the hell are the PROS?!

5. I suspect all you'd need to do is to add one of these http://www.drainagecentral.co.uk/40...e-Valve-W237?gclid=COrth9jqys4CFc-6GwodGUYAzw to the waste pipe coming from your new sink.

I guess it's fitted by tee-ing off the waste pipe before it disappears in through the wall. The idea is that it draws in air if there's a slight vacuum in the pipe (say by draining the basin), and air is drawn in through here rather than emptying the sink's trap.

Totally doable.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'm here, no need to shout:p:), just slicing up my new black pudding, all the way from the Isle of Lewis...:):)

Why not use a antic vac sink trap?

OP, just trying to clear up waste pipe 36mm size, basin is usually 32mm pipe, unless they used 40mm pipe & reduced it down for a 32mm basin trap.

I presume waste pipe for basin goes straight down behind basin, if it is 40mm, then you could cut pipe insert a Tee fitting to take new waste pipe coming through wall.

If 40mm pipe, it's ample for sink & dishwasher.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

McAlpine do basin wastes with an integral AAV: http://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-anti-syphon-bottle-trap-32mm-white/37314 or http://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-swivel-p-trap-white-32mm/96792

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. Pollowick

Which one ... there are three good black pudding makers up there and all taste different! On a recent fishing trip, one of te group comes from Lewis and he brought several across. So, Saturday lunch was barbecued sirloin steak, three different black pudding to evaluate along with several single malts!

9. Michael Leslie

Thanks again to all for the plumbing advice and also the unexpected Black Pudding chat, hard youth beat Stornoway when it comes to Black Pudding.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Using Charle MacLeod black pudding at the moment, did try one other brand, but went back to Macleod.:)
    Out of intrest who are the three good black pudding makers up there.

http://www.charlesmacleod.co.uk/collections/puddings

11. Charley Barley?! Man, that takes me back... :oops:

KIAB likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Charle MacLeod black pudding absolutely delicious, lovely flavour, luckily we have a few butchers around here who stock them.:)

I've been thinking about ordering some Stornoway Smokehouse salmon.:)
    Want to try their Lewis Whisky Cured Smoked Salmon,500grms is £34.:eek:

Just for you perusal DA...:D

http://www.stornowaysmokehouse.co.uk/

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  13. That'll soon change when we Skots are in the EU and you bunch of pansy Englanders are oot.

Ya bass.

KIAB likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If those Jocks get their way, the bar-stewards will want to rebuild wall then & charge us a toll, like the taffs do.:(

15. Pollowick

MacLeod is one of them, and I cannot remember the others - too much of Speyside's finest. I say three - that is what I am told by the Scots I fish with and the partner of one is in te butchery trade and she source them all.

KIAB likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Will have to google.:)

Stornoway smoked kippers is something else I missed, lived on them when I was up in Lewis 30 years ago.:)

17. Pollowick

Sirloin steak, fried mushrooms and onions, Stornoway Black Pudding along with Skirly and Haggis both made by a butcher friend from Buckie! Washed down with a variety of 15, 16, 18, 21 yo single malts.

KIAB likes this.
  18. What were you doing on Lewis, KIAB?

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Chaperone to a young lady for a few months.:rolleyes::)

Was going planning to have a holiday up there this year, but it will have to be next summer now.

Changed a lot in 30 years,& Stornoway so many changes.