New wallpaper seam lines - masking tape test

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by BobbyD, Jul 11, 2016.

1. BobbyD

BobbyD New Member

Hi

I've just had some new wallpaper put up by a decorator. He sized the walls and then immediately started to paper. The day after, there were gaps between lots of the seams. And some flaps not stuck down. And a bubble (which he said he can inject with paste).

Initially (inexperienced as I am), I was thinking there was a problem with the paper shrinking but now I'm not so sure. The paper is made by Casadeco.

I've done a test. I've used a (not particularly strong) piece of masking tape to test if the paper at the seams is stuck - where there's a gap, it isn't! It just pulls away without any force needed. If I do the same on a perfect join (i.e. no gap between the seams), the masking tape peels away but the paper is stuck fast.

Any theories?

Cheers
    BobbyD

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

When you size the wall, after it's applied you allow it to dry.
    NormallY I would let it dry overnight, but I'm old school.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Casadeco is a very good brand of paper reflected in the price per roll, are you sure it was not a paste the wall type paper where a different type of paste is advised. Sizing the wall is to seal the wall creating even porosity and would be left overnight to fully cure (dry) before hanging any type of paper. However if the wall was previously emulsion painted it can be argued that it is already sealed.

4. BobbyD

BobbyD New Member

Thanks guys. I did think the sizing was going to be left - I was surprised the papering was started so soon. The walls were painted about 8-9 years ago. They even commented on how dry they were.

The Casadeco paper is a paste the wall paper. I don't know what paste they used but will be finding out shortly.

5. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

I thought the reason for sizing the wall was to seal the surface, so when you went to apply the pasted paper, the paste wasn't drawn into the wall causing dry spots, and did its job as an adhesive, like KIAB I'd do this a day or so before papering.

As with most things the finish generally reflects the prep, so no matter how expensive the paper is, if its just thrown up, it will look mince when it is fully dried.

6. Bobby, you - like me - are a layman.

They are the Pros.

If they didn't do a good enough job - and it sounds as tho' they didn't - then they need to sort it. And there's only one way to do that afaIk.

7. Is there any way to close the gaps together? Or is it a re-do job...?

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It sounds ok except that not enough paste was applied to the wall prior to hanging each length especially on the joins.

9. Cool - I'd read it that there were actual visible gaps between the strips.

10. BobbyD

BobbyD New Member

Yep there are vertical gaps - I can see the magnolia paint colour in between some of the seams!

It's an expensive mistake - just wish I hadn't bought the paper!

So it sounds like a redo job - I doubt the paper will stretch a couple of mm's to meet the next sheet but that sure would save some hassle.

So gutted - it's a beautiful paper.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the thoughts and fast replies. Wasn't aware of this great forum...

11. Ouch.

How large are these gaps? (Any chance of some close-up photos? Keep them under 2MP)
    Since you went for a quality product (from what peeps say), then the only issue at fault must be the workmanship. In which case I'd say that they are liable for it all.

They might - almost certainly will - try and wriggle out of it by claiming all sorts, but unless they expressly stated from the outset they wouldn't be liable for any 'fault' issues since they didn't provide the 'materials', then they are stuffed.

This isn't like other such issues like a customer supplies a shower mixer vale or summat and pay the plumber only for labour. When that doesn't work due to a fault with the valve, the customer is liable for all the re-labour charges.

In your case, Bobby, there can surely not be a fault with the actual paper, so that leaves only the workmanship. They have (or will - as they try and remove it!) caused damage to your materials due only to their own incompetence, so they are duty bound to sort it all.

Or you can sue them. And you almost certainly will win.

(Papering is one of these jobs that makes me sweat chust thinking about it - another is vinyl/carpet flooring... Sis-i-l persuaded me to paper her wall recently, tho', and I have to 'fess it was thoroughly satisfying, mainly 'cos it was a thick textured paper which was terrific to use. You cannot find the joins...)

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Paste the wall is exactly what it says Paste the Wall, no need to soak, straight up, it will not stretch one little bit.
    Did you supply the paper?
    Did you or they buy and use the correct adhesive?

13. BobbyD

BobbyD New Member

After all these valuable and insightful comments, I'm convinced the paper is fine.

See photo - admittedly the worst gapping.

I purchased the paper - the rolls were shipped directly from Casadeco in France. I didn't supply any paste or size but I'll try and find out what and how it was used (I have a feeling size wasn't used - I think it was runny paste.

Attached Files:

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yipes!!!! no way is that acceptable. :eek::eek::eek::eek::(:(:mad:

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What area of the country are you?

16. BobbyD

BobbyD New Member

It's bad isn't it :( We're in Berkshire.

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No it's worse than bad :eek:, too far away for me to physically help. Have you a Brewers decorating centre near to you as they would be able to recommend a trusted wallpaper hanger, they can also supply Casadeco papers I have bought many rolls from them over the years. Also worth a look on Wallpapers Direct.

18. BobbyD

BobbyD New Member

Thank you for the tips Astramax (and everyone else) - hugely appreciated. I'll update when I have more info in case anyone is interested.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If you could lay your hands on the hanging instructions it will say on them what paste to use. ;)

20. Bobby, that is indeed unacceptable. Completely.

It won't be a very forgiving paper, tho', wot with that strong contrast of colour - so needs to be hung by a pro.

I'm not saying that these guys ain't pros, but they have messed up.

Phew - pleased that you didn't supply the paste.

Ok, these guys know it's not good enough. They know this. If they didn't, themselves, own up and bring this to your attention, then they are trying to pull a fast one - hoping they'll get away with it.

The thing is - they now need to be given the chance to put it right. It's only if you have good cause to suspect they aren't what they claimed, for example, that you can tell them to get lost right away and get someone else on the job.

And that probably wouldn't help you anyway, 'cos you'll be out of pocket to the cost of the paper if they simply walk away.

So - sorry - but this is going to be painful to sort (unless they are true pros and hold their hands up...).

You need to make it clear to them that they need to redo the work. End of. At no extra cost to you. They are going to be out of pocket over this, but that's tough - they messed up.

If they try and suggest "Fine - call it quits - we won't charge you anything for our labour so far, but we're off..." you need to make them realise that it ain't as easy as that - they are liable. And you will sue them for the whole cost of supplying new paper and pasting it up (after a proper pro has done this for you). And you will win.

That's the bottom line - that is what you can do if need be. What you actually do is up to you.

(Of course you need to follow the correct procedure if you are going 'legal'...)