No Earth on Oven Hood? & Can I add a plug?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by RipGroove, Aug 20, 2017.

1. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Just about to install a new oven extracter, the old one had a plug on it and there is a plug socket on the wall hidden behind the chimney part. The new extractor has no Earth wire or plug, so can I just rob the plug off of the old extractor and wire it to the new extractor via just the blue and brown wires?

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Yes, thats fine.

3. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Cool thanks! Let's see how much of a mess of this I make today!

Old hood was installed when the house was built, never vented to outside, can't go through the ceiling as joists run wrong way, can't go straight out the wall as there is a boxed in soil stack in the corner. I have plans involving flat channel ducting, coving and plasterboard lol

4. Doall

Doall Active Member

Charcoal filter ? Thetexwgat I've used in the past when I've nowhere to vent extractor Mrs

5. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

I tried that, and it hardly did anything, the wall and ceiling behind the chimney was saturated in oil and grease, it was pretty disgusting. The kitchen just filled with smoke when cooking meat on a griddle pan.

I managed to install a new hood with some flat channel ducting yesterday, just waiting for a mate to come and core drill the exterior wall so I can add the last pieces of ducting to vent outside. Then I need to do a little plasterboard and plaster work to make it good inside and hopefully that'll be it!

Doall likes this.