No water after kitchen tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Chris606, May 20, 2016.

1. Chris606

Chris606 New Member

Hello
    Please help.
    We have no water after the kitchen tap.
    Heard a slight bang in the pipes last night.
    Now none of cold taps work except kitchen.
    Checked tank in the loft and it's now empty. Ballcock valve is OK. Actually removed it then turned water on but none comes out. Can you get an airlock in the mains supply to the loft tank ????
    Washing machine doesn't work either pipe to that is just above the stopcock under the sink.
    Any advice extremely welcome.
    Thanks

2. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

A customer didn't pay a plumber I knew - so he called round to the house, turned off the stop tap and poured in quick setting cement - you haven't upset a plumber recently have you.....?

So no cold water anywhere, see if your neighbours have the same problem.
    Go check your stop taps, the one in the road and the one in your house. Kids maybe turned the one off out in the street (that will teach you not to let them have their ball back....)

Have you touched any plumbing at all before this happened.

From what you've said, sounds like the jumper in the stop tap has become mis-placed. Your local water authority will probably help if you phone them and explain you've no water, they will at least call round and tell you what the problem is. You might then have to get someone in to fix it.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Try turning the stop tap off, then back on.

4. Chris606

Chris606 New Member

I do have water at the kitchen cold tap

5. Chris606

Chris606 New Member

And no not done any work or had a plumber round yet...
    But looks like it's going to have to be a weekend play around filling toilets with a bucket

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Is it a full pressure?

Trace your water pipe through the house (as much as is possible) to your loft tank and check for any valves etc that may be suspect.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Your house insurance may include emergency cover for plumbers and electricians so could be worth checking the policy!

8. Chris606

Chris606 New Member

Yeah kitchen tap is at full power. Turn it on and water bounces out of the sink type of pressure. There are no valve's between kitchen stopcock and loft ballcock

9. Chris606

Chris606 New Member

Thanks astramax. I will check that

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Have you got an outside tap plumbed in near the kitchen tap?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Two threads posted on this question!:rolleyes:

12. Chris606

Chris606 New Member

The plot continues.
    Now we have watter hammer from the ballcock!!!!!
    Got very high water pressure here.
    I've heard fitting a torbeck could cure the fault. .... is that correct a torbeck in the loft tank?????? Aren't they just for toilets? ??

13. Chris606

Chris606 New Member

And sorry about the two threads wasn't intentional

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could fit a PRV (pressure reducing valve) to lower water to 3-4 bar.

But, it could be a knackered stopcock rattling.

15. Chris606

Chris606 New Member

OK sounds like a better long term plan . Where do they best get fitted?

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Just get up there and open the stopcock fully a few times(by just pressing on the ball). Full open, full shut a few times, see if it stops.
    You may have some air somewhere having been stopped for a while, so open all main water taps and allow some long flow.
    Reason I say that is if you didn't have hammer before, no reason to have it now, or need to change anything.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

KIAB likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Water pressure might have been low enough to prevent this, before water board start poking around with their pipes.
    And as a result of their work, it has increase the water pressure,so causing water hammer.

I eliminate the mains stopcock first,if it's old, then float valves.

18. Chris606

Chris606 New Member

What do you mean eliminate the mains stopcock?
    The stopcock under the sink seems to be OK. It's easy to turn and doesn't leak.
    Think I'm going to fit a new ballcock and valve tomorrow.
    Should I go for a straight swap brass high pressure one or try a torbeck? ??

19. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select