Noisy Screwfix Centrifugal Bathroom Fan

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Teki, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

We have a Screwfix Centrifugal bathroom fan that was purchased a few years ago. It has now started to make a loud rattling sound when it comes on.

Is it a case of dismantling the fan and applying grease to the motor innards?

The fan looks similar to this and is ceiling mounted:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-centrifugal-25w-bathroom-fan/11442

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It probably is dry bearings, they are probably just plain phosphor bronze/oilite type bearings so you might be able to introduce a drop of oil into them, (3 in 1 etc.)

Teki likes this.
  3. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Thanks, I'll dismantle it and take a look.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Copaslip is very good - nay excellent..:rolleyes:

Teki likes this.
  5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

and then buy a new one

Risteard likes this.
  6. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

What are you implying!?

7. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

I think I have something similar for break pads.

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I think Sean is implying, for the sake of £28.00 why bother messing about trying to fix the old one.

But if your like me, then go ahead and have a go at fixing it, if all else fails, at least you can say you tried.:)

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I wasn't implying anything - I was suggesting that you should buy a new one

when something which rotates on a bearing gets to the stage that it is rattling then a drop of oil isn't going to solve the worn bearing issue, it might mask it for a while - if it was simply squeaking then perhaps some oil may help

I hope a drop of oil does solve your problem, you might even find the impeller has drifted along the shaft

10. Phil the Paver

Would you use Copaslip on a bearing??

It's not designed for moving parts, but more as a anti corrosion grease, for say threads or as said above, the back of brake pads.

Sean_ork likes this.
  11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Aye Phil I would use Copaslip on a dom fan bearing - I would also use it on a new oil lite bearing if circumstances permit to supplement lubrication. Prior to inserting the oilight bearing in the crank nose - immerse in oil for a minimum of 24hrs..use Copaslip on the spigot end which goes into the crank..also good for needle nose - :D

12. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Yup, I'm like you! I hate throwing things away unless they can't be repaired. I'll give it go, otherwise live with the noise until it fails or buy a new one!

13. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

even on a fan that costs less than £30 to replace ?

14. Phil the Paver

????? Sorry but that is so wrong on so many counts, copaslip or any other cooper based grease, is not designed for moving parts and in fact will act as a grinding paste on them, it is purely for surfaces that Dont move but require a anti corrosion grease or a slippery surface between them.
    Having worked on cars and more so motorcycles for more years than I care to remember, I've seen the damage copaslip / copperslip can do to bearing especially motorcycle wheel bearing were it been used, but even swingarm bearing have suffered and they only move a tiny amount back and forth as the swingarm goes up and down.

15. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Agreed Phil, I've also spent most of my life working on cars and motorcycles and i'd only use Copaslip or it's variants for it's anti-seize and anti-squeal (back of brake pads) properties.

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I wouldn't use it on a wheel bearing tbqh Phil and never have done. However I have used it on 1st motion shaft nose - a light smear and that's it. Never on the splines etc and I certainly would not use it on big end/mains and stuff, that's asking for trouble. On my engine builds many moons ago the application of STP worked nicely.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Never lunched a rebuild, and were talking A2 Cosworth + cams and stuff - no nose probs where the copaslip was put - you have to know what you are doing tbqh.Always was wary of people with timing lights - they use to set the 25d and the mill pinked like heck after 2nd and under high load. Trace pink is the name of the game, and you don't need no light..that was the good thing about the 25d, the vernier was brill and stuff.

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Yep - if the fan is quietened then that has saved the geezer 30 sovs - that 30 sovs sitting in the bank etc will earn interest.

19. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You mentioned splines JP, I assume you mean clutch drive splines, now that is another place that Copaslip can be used to good effect, just a very light smear of course but being heat resisting it doesn't get thrown out onto the friction surface.

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Slightly changing the subject but I've heard that graphite grease is bad in certain circumstances, would someone with superior knowledge like to educate us?