Non crazing caulk please

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DIYDave., Apr 12, 2014.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all,

Fairly common problem I understand, after using caulk for gap filling, allowing drying time, painting with emulsion, the paint crazes

Have used Evo - Stick caulk a few times, good for gap filling, nice flow and texture etc (even tastes ok when you lick your finger during smoothing) ! Have had the same problem with other makes as well

It's ok when overpainting with solvent based paints but I filled some fine cracks between wall and ceiling joints, left it to dry overnight, even though it claims to be over paintable in an hour, then used vinyl matt on the walls and emulsion on the ceiling
    As the paint dries it crazes

Had to go over the caulk lines with solvent based topcoat, leave again overnight then paint over with emulsion. All a bit time consuming (but got a great finish in the end)

What brand do you guys use that wont craze with emulsion
    Many thanks

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I usually leave it until the next day before painting. As long as the bit your caulking isn't too thick, it's usually ok. ;);)

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I think the problem is the water in the paint brings the caulking back to life, try putting a bead of the caulking on a piece of timber, let it go off, then drip some water on it see if it comes back to life.
    Seen it as a problem where caulking has been use in fine cracks on walls, when painted it reacts and bubbles???:confused:

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If I have to paint over caulk, I always put the first coat as very thin, hardly any at all(so it dries in 10minutes), leaving it for longer though. Seems to help, puts a dry barrier between it and the proper coat, and dries out before making the caulk react.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks for input chaps;

JJ - left it to dry overnight - yep I never believe those "paintable in 1 hour" claims so gave it a good 16 hrs or so before painting and still crazed

P t P - Yes this could be the science behind the problem, maybe ? I've also seen the caulk bubble and peel like you say, its no good for fine crack filling in walls. I think people try to force it into the crack then remove excess with a scraper, which leaves a thin film of caulk on the wall surface. When painted it lifts and peels. Better to use a fine filler in this situation

Mr H - Not tried this approach but will give it a go on a test piece. Just wondered though would a very thin coat of emulsion left to dry, form a barrier to the next coat of emulsion, being water based

As I said, ended up painting over the caulk lines with a half inch brush and white gloss but then had to leave it something like 14 hrs for the gloss to dry before going over again with emulsion
    When your trying to finish a room off over a weekend this is a "pita" (not the bread variety either)

No offence to you guys as you've replied but the pro painters on here must have had this problem and will have tried all the brands of caulk and found at least one that doesn't craze ?

Time is money if your painting for a living so you cant be messing around with extended drying times, thin coats, thick coats, solvent based coats etc

Cheers again

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Just out of interest my brother inlaw is a painter/decorator, he painted my living room, he used Wickes own brand caulking around my ceiling/wall line, that seemed fine but don't know if he sealed it first, I was at work when he did it, only know he used that because he left it behind with the spare paint.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

He will have used Wickes because all the coppers eat at La Snack Van and your vehicle will never get robbed. #stevenage

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

A cheeky request then Phil but can you ask your brother inlaw about this problem with crazing

Maybe the wickes stuff doesn't cause this problem or your B-I-L may have a trick up his sleeve that he may like to share with us !

Thanks again

9. apl

apl Member

Try this stuff mate, it's about the best out there at the minute....... Den Braven Zwaluw acrylic anti crack . Good under most emulsions, apart from Dulux Diamond Matt. Put a coat of BIN over it first.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

So not that good then.

11. apl

apl Member

Unless you know anything better ?

12. Hants jobber

Hants jobber New Member

it will always crack if you put matt over the top, use zinsters, silk, softsheen, or oil undercoat first.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I could be getting this all wrong but isn't caulk usually used between walls and woodwork which would mean that the first paint it encounters is matt emulsion.

14. apl

apl Member

Not true. Maybe you should change your brand of caulk.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Mixed messages mate.