Not enough plaster for 2nd coat!

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by sebsutherland, Mar 23, 2016.

1. sebsutherland

sebsutherland New Member

Hi,

I've been plastering my house (I'm not a pro, but doing a decent job until now) and stupidly put too much water in the mix (thistle multi finish) for the 2nd coat for a ceiling. This was at 9pm so I couldn't rush out and grab some more.

Will I now have to wait until the first coat is totally dry, then PVA and skim? Or could I get away with putting on the 2nd coat 24 hours later?

Cheers!

Seb.

2. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

How much it too much water?

3. sebsutherland

sebsutherland New Member

Just thicker than water - I know the 2nd coat can be much thinner than the 1st so I thought I'd be fine with the amount of water I'd put in the bucket - but there was less plaster left in the bag than I thought. Total ball ache!

4. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

Not done plastering before and can't really tell how runny your mix is but if it would stick without dripping off I'd try it what's worst that could happen do it again tomorrow which is the other option anyway

Doall likes this.
  5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Posting about things you know nothing about again Neil, this is getting to be a habit now :)

gadget man likes this.
  6. proby

proby Active Member

Be too dry in the morning pva it and plaster it wile it's still tacky.

7. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

One thing a do know is you really need a razor

8. sebsutherland

sebsutherland New Member

Cheers for the advice. If I PVA the next day before the plaster is totally dry, will that lock in moisture or is that not a problem?

Thanks again.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I have several thanks. :)

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Tip it out onto a blanket/ground sheet, then shovel it up again, minus the water that the sheet has soaked up.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. proby

proby Active Member

Shouldn't do pva reactivates with moisture and goes tacky anyway.

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Pva it and get on with it ;)

sebsutherland likes this.
  13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Would you suggest a much weaker mix of pva(ie more water) ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Doall likes this.
  14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Depending on how thick he's put the first coat on Andy, it may well be dry by tomorrow anyway. I'd just pva up as normal and put on another 2 coats.

15. If the original coat is still wet - ie dark pink - can't he chust skim the second coat straight on?

(Or even slightly water-spray any sections wot's dried out?)

16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Possibly, depending on conditions, but given that ceilings are more of a pain I personally wouldn't want to.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  17. proby

proby Active Member

Agreed Ceilings are bad enough you don't whant to risk having to do get up and do it over again and again, sole destroying.

18. I think you'll find your soles are the only bits that'll be ok when doing ceilings...

19. proby

proby Active Member

Well excuse my poor spelling just add an ar to it :)

20. sebsutherland

sebsutherland New Member

Well being an amateur my soles were covered in all the plaster that slopped on the floor - so they weren't OK!