not enough pressure

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by redoctober, Mar 2, 2015.

1. redoctober

redoctober Member

Help needed please

Just fitted a nice new shower bath. but I have a problem.

When I try to operate the shower head all is well 'till I turn on the cold tap, then the plunger goes down and bath taps come on.

Works fine on hot only (pumped supply). I have even tried running the cold through the shower head with the head down in the bath. Do I need pumped cold water as well?

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

is your cold water mains fed or from a tank?. :confused:

if its from a tank then thats the problem, it needs pumping too to get equal pressure, I think whats happening is that the hot water is pushing the tank cold back up to the tank, this loses pressure in the valve body and the plunger drops,
    If the water is mains fed, I dunno whats causing it, o_O

3. redoctober

redoctober Member

Hello Tom thats the problem it's mains fed?

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

is your mains pressure good ? maybe there's a ball o fix on it to restrict it,

5. redoctober

redoctober Member

Sorry my mistake the cold water is fed from a tank in the loft. the outlet from this tank is only about 2 or 3 feet above the wall fitting for the shower head, about 8 foot above the manual mixer tap. I suppose thats why I have very poor cold pressure. Today I have remade the cold pipe work cutting out as many elbows and bends as possible, doesn't seem to have made any difference
    The hot is fed by a pump so the pressure is good enough to keep the shower valve open. What I don't understand is why when it works fine with hot only it closes down when I turn the cold tap on, I would have thought that with both hot and cold running through the mixer valve the combined pressure should be more than enough to hold it open?
    sorry must sound like a complete numpty...............but any suggestion please.

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

thats your problem then, what I said in my first post, connect it to the water main going to the tank and blank the fed coming out of the tank, ;)

7. redoctober

redoctober Member

Thanks Tom
    It sounds like a job for a proper plumber then, not just an enthusiastic numpty. What is it they say about a "little Knowledge"