odd fault...

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by 14th edition, Oct 16, 2017.

1. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Hi all, called out to a RCD that wouldn't reset and initially thought it would be a faulty appliance. Twin RCD CU, so turned off all the mob's on the faulty side but still wouldn't reset and oddly it would only reset when the main switch was turned off. Not seen that before...Suspected a N->fault, but where.....

The tenant had tried to unplug everything to find what it was including taking out all the lightbulbs! The only thing she couldn't unplug was an integral dishwasher but there was no isolation switch or access to socket. Above the worktop was a blanked off double socket which I suspected fed a socket beneath so disconnect the neutrals and hey presto RCD reset. So dragged out the dishwasher, thoughtfully fixed with security screws, unplugged it and reconnected the neutrals and RCD tripped again. So cables I suspected were feeding the socket were not...
    Traced them to an adjacent garden room where they were fused down to feed a couple of metal wall lights. Disconnected the supply to these completely and all is well. Didn't get time to find the actual fault but all the wiring looked bodgy but at least everything else is working.

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

14th...can be a nightmare.
    I used to work on probabilities and visual inspections.
    New work.
    new appliances.
    all external stuff.
    ditch the obvious if possible.( both poles)
    note at all external mounted sockets / switches if old property.
    Damp signs from showers/sinks/ macerators etc
    then drop neutrals in the board.
    My axiom was
    1. Never believe the customer.
    2. Never believe the customer.
    3. Never.... (etc.)

RS

PhilSo likes this.
  3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Dont understand. What is the actual fault? Is it the dishwasher (if so probably element) or the wall lights causing the rcd to trip 14th?

4. retiredsparks

prob wall lights JP
    Sounds like it.
    Rs

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Agree more then likely wall lights RS - I wonder where the leakage is though on the wall lights?

6. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Hi JP, thought it was the DW but couldn't get to the socket...but above it was a blanked off double socket with a bug**s muddle of connector blocks and cables going in/out. I assumed [wrongly as it turned out] that some of the cables fed the socket to the dishwasher socket so disconnected the neutrals and the fault went away. But when I unplugged the DW the fault was still there...turned out to be lights next door fed from the ex. socket.

7. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Did you carry out any insulation resistance testing?

8. retiredsparks

looks like he ran out of time on site but probably will later to confirm other leakages.... and the actual fault.
    RS