old heating manifold

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by monty45, Sep 28, 2014.

1. monty45

monty45 New Member

hi can any one help, I am fitting a new rad in my kitchen and ever thing was going well till I went to connect the new 8mm micro bore pipes to the existing manifold.it appears to be an old imperial manifold but it is already supplying the rest of my rads through 8 mm pipe. the problem I am having is when I removed the 2 nuts with block off.s to fit the new pipes the nuts will not compress the olives and a new 8 mm nut from a compression joint will not fit on as the threads appear different i did think about using a 8 mm compression joint to make the olive a tight fit then cut the pipe to remove the 8mm nut and fit the old imperial nut then re join the pipes ,this seemed a bit of a pain so I just refitted the stops for now till I can get some advice about the best way to solve this. can any one tell me if this would of worked as all the other pipes have the old type nuts on but with olives that have compressed

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Tee in before the manifold and reduce to 8 mm

3. monty45

monty45 New Member

I am already using 8mm micro bore but the nut off the manifold does not compress the olive onto the 8 mm pipe.do you mean use a tee on another pipe before the manifold because I always thought this is bad practise as I could of just teed into a near by rad to feed my new one

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  4. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Take the old stuff out put new stuff in

5. monty45

monty45 New Member

well that advice is as much use as a chocolate tea pot, spend hundreds on a new system ? is that what you would advice a customer is it

6. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Dear client
    System modifications in this circumstance will with as little effort equally reflect the cost.
    I am pleased to inform you that you can connect with any system modifications anywhere before the manifolds...this is providing you can solder & own a blow lamp

Kind regards

7. G&W Plumbing & Heating

My chocolate t pot is well handy, when manifolds become too much to handle I stare at my t pot for some normality

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

If you tee into the system from another rad that will be after the manifold before is the 22mm from 3 port/2 port valve to the manifold on the flow and between the manifold and the boiler on the return. Its not bad practice by any means in fact some systems are designed like this and do not use a manifold.

As for chocolate T pots, bit rude considering the advise was good, if your existing manifold won't work put a new one in was all that was being said there.