Old house - cold water pipe size?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by hampshire rosie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Please forgive me if this is a REALLY daft question ......... but...........

I see copper pipe is sold at 15mm but does that exactly match the size of the pipe used in an old house circa 1920's? How does the old imperial size - which would have been used then - match today's metric?

Our cold water feed enters house, goes straight up to the bath, then the basin and loo, before wandering off to the cold water tank in the loft. All pipes under the bath, basin and loo are the same size - 1/2 inch (ish) to the untrained eye. Mine! I've crawled about under a bath more in the past couple of days than I've EVER done in my life and have concluded that you need to be a contortionist. Quite frankly, I didn't know I was so bendy. I really don't know how you chaps do this every day ........ but hats off to you!!!!!

Anyway, we need to add/change some of the pipework for new taps, loo and shower.
    So, will a new 15mm copper pipe exactly fit the old 1920's pipe or do you need to use some kind of connection to go from the old to the new?

I'd be very grateful for any help and advice you can give me.

Thank you,
    Rosie

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the old 1/2 inch copper pipe will go into a 15mm tee/elbow/coupling but it might need a tap from a hammer, there is a 1/2 copper pipe named council pipe, so named because the council's used it in building council houses, Its thicker than normal and you will need to file it or 'BASH' the fitting on,
    the bigger pipe 3/4 will not work in a 22mm fitting, you'll need an adaptor,

hampshire rosie and KIAB like this.
  3. Thank you Tom.plum for your help and for such a quick reply.
    Just adding on to my question:
    In this situation, which fittings would you say are best - compression or pushfit?

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I'd use compression on the first connection because the slight differance in the diameters might affect the rubber seal in a pushfit fitting, but once you're on 15mm copper use pushfit then,

hampshire rosie and KIAB like this.
  5. Thank you, that's great. Most appreciated!!!

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you're welcome rosie, throw a 10p in my cup next time you see me in the hampshire shoping centre, I'm the guy with a cardboard sign saying , " buy me a coffee please, have a nice day" . :(

7. Let's really push the boat out and throw 50p in your cup when you're sat with your cardboard sign. And if I manage to shove the correct fitting on the pipe without flooding the bathroom, I'll even throw in a sandwich!!!
    Thank you again!!

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

There we go Tom, next weeks buffet is sorted. :D:D:D

9. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

smiley-laughing004.gif If you look on the just talk forum you will see he is actually after a new butty maker Rosie for the darts and bingo :D I resigned;)
    Let us know how the pipework goes. :)

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Its often said of me, " that bloke's a sandwich short of a picnic", thanks to Rosie's kind gesture, I'm complete now :)

11. miss pickle

Don't worry tom ;) nobody noticed :rolleyes: I think I filled those boots more than adequately. I would take some beating in the bat crazy stakes :D

12. I'm new to this forum thingy so I am still finding my way around.
    However, funny enough, whilst I was clicking here and there, I saw something about a new butty maker required. I thought it must be some essential piece of kit vital to the professional tradesman ................ Um, well, perhaps it is!!! (LOL)

13. miss pickle

Haha! :D Yes it is vital! Tom writes songs about it and everything! :D
    You are always free to join us anytime and give me a hand with the food Rosie.
    And if you pick 5 numbers between 1 and 75 you can play bingo :)
    Everyone is welcome. Its a bit of company and a giggle.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Branston is pulling the girls in x

15. Alas, Rosie will struggle to fit in here - her English is too perfect :oops:

16. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

She'll have to talk to you then, the rest of us won't a Scooby what's she's on about, know what I mean like. :D:D

17. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I'd be happy to help dumb her down a tad, or translate tha kneeerrrs ;)

18. miss pickle

I also feel we would greatly benefit from having Rosie around a bit more.
    Me especially :D she sounds smart!
    And she is clearly a good sport.
    Expect she would run rings round you lot ;)

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I see you are an active member now Branston x

20. miss pickle

Well :rolleyes: if you didn't keep going on forced holidays you'd have spotted that ages ago :D
    Its only a title :eek: I prefer newbie actually.