Old Ideal Mexico boiler - Cant run hot water on its own

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Kris82, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Kris82

Kris82 New Member

Hi All,

Firstly I'll openly admit I know very little about all this so any help would be appreciated!

I have an old Idea Mexico boiler installed in my property, its on a gravely fed system. It works fine when you want to run the central heating and hot water at the same time. However its not possible to run the hot water on its own.

My first question is should I expect the hot water to work on its own? The control box has the option but when you turn on the hot water it doesn't fire up the boiler (could it be wired to the boiler incorrectly?)

I've uploaded a few photos, hopefully they might help...if any other photos would be useful let me know.

Thanks,
    Kris

IMG_0066.JPG IMG_0064.JPG

2. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Would appear that your programmer / timer has developed a fault.
    When calling just for hot water it should be sending a signal to the boiler to come on - guess it isn't.
    A moment with a meter would confirm this, if so replace it.

3. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Would be worth checking out the wiring
    It should have a zone valve and be able to heat hot water on its own I would think from the type of system and the boiler

4. Kris82

Kris82 New Member

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I've had a look at the wiring and its setup as below...not sure if anything is wrong...

Mains power into the programmer

Blue -> N connector
    Brown -> L connector
    Yellow/Green -> earth connector

There is then a cable to a junction box connecting to the pump and the boiler

The cables from the programmer to the junction box are:

Blue -> L connector on programmer -> Blue on the junction box
    Brown -> connector 4 on the programmer -> Brown on the junction box
    Y/G -> earth connector on programmer -> Y/G on the junction box

The pump and boiler are all connected with the same colours. (so the programmer/pump/boiler are all connected up to the same colours on each other)

Does that sound like it should be? I can upload photos if they would be of any help?

Again thanks for the help

5. Glad its Friday

Hi Kris, wiring sounds fine, unless a wire has actually come loose then that will not have caused your problem. Issue is probably the output from your programmer, that is where the fault most likely is. Only way to tell is get in there with a meter - but - 240v so if you are confident go ahead, if not get someone in.

Or just replace the programmer. If it is a 'clip on one', just turn off the power, remove the old one, fit the new one and see what happens.

Be warned though that some new members to this forum don't approve of this approach and will insist on your repair person making 2 trips to fix the problem, first to confirm the faulty programmer and a second to replace it costing you two calls (see this thread 'Grundfos UP15-14B Comfort Pump Intermittent Fault'). Oh well - good luck!

6. Kris82

Kris82 New Member

Hey,

I thought the same thing my self. I picked up a replacement programmer today and still no joy. I've double checked all the wires are connected up securely. So its looking like I'm going to need someone on take a look at it. Unless anyone can suggest anything else to try?

Thanks
    Kris

7. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Unfortunately as you have a gravity hot water system to the taps - if the boiler is firing, you have to have hot water to the taps - there is no way around it. You are not allowed to insert any "on/off" valves apart from a mechanical thermostat in the gravity feed or return pipes to the copper cylinder. For central heating the boiler has to fire (therefore giving you hot water from the taps) and the pump has to start as decided by the room thermostat. On the plus side theis makes for a very simple almost foolproof system which will last a lifetime!

diymostthings

8. Kris82

Kris82 New Member

Hi diymostthings,

I understand that if the heating is on water will be getting heated...my issue is I cant have hot water without the heating on. While not a problem at this time of year, its not ideal in summer...it feels like something that the system should be able to do...

9. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

AAhhh! Sorry! I misread your question. Well the only thing that gets your radiators warm is the pump working when the boiler is firing. The room thermostat should simply switch the pump on and off when heat is demanded/satisfied - the boiler thermostat should take care of the firing. I had an ideal Mexico and did not need a programmer - just made sure the room thermostat was set low in the summer! It sounds like you have inherited this system recently - or have you lived with it a long time and decided to sort it out?

10. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    From the photo, I can only see one pipe coming from to top of the boiler?

The pipe that connects to the pump.

Can you confirm there is another pipe at to top of the boiler,
    i.e: the vent/gravity hot water?
    Or another photo of the back of the boiler

Regards
    Peter

11. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

If there is only 1 pipe from the boiler straight to the pump then I don't believe you can get independent hot water

12. Kris82

Kris82 New Member

Hi all,

I cant get a photo of the back of the boiler as its located right up against the wall. I've had a good look and it doesnt look like there are any pipes going in or out of the back,. I've uploaded another photo of the other side of the boiler. Are are a further 2 pipes, however they dont connect to the pump (at least not directly)

The buildings an ex local authority so the pipes go all over the place!

Attached Files:

13. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    Here we go, .....
    It's my guess, you have gravity hot water and pumped heating.

If this is the case, have a look in the feed and expansion tank, make sure you have water in it, if so check and air bleeds fitted on the cylinder pipe work.

I am assuming you have a switched live to the boiler when only hot water is called for?

Regards
    Peter

14. Kris82

Kris82 New Member

Hi Kiaora,

Thanks for the reply, the fact I dont really know what Im doing is about to really show ;)

Tho I do think your right about the gravity hot water and pumped heating, thats what I pieced together by reading loads of web sites...

When you say 'I am assuming you have a switched live to the boiler when only hot water is called for?' you've completely lost me!

Also by expansion task (Im guessing you mean the tank in the airing cupboard?) The tank has water (its nice and hot where the heatings been on today) There are air bleeds, I think my old man bled then when he looked at it a while back.

An if Im honest Im not your what you mean by 'I am assuming you have a switched live to the boiler when only hot water is called for?'

So there we have it, I've clearly been beaten with the novice stick ;)

15. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    when the system is installed, a small tank is fitted, normally in the roof,
    this tank supplies the water to the system radiators and boiler etc... its a feed tank, also when the system is filled the air must have a way of venting from the system, ie; a pipe that is fitted normally above the feed tank...

not to be confused with the cold water storage tank, the feed tank is quite small.

q1

16. kiaora

kiaora Guest

opps! pressed the wrong button!

is there water in the feed tank?

the vents next to the cylinder.... do you have water coming from them when opened?

switched live? if your not sure, may be best to phone a friend, its that for heating you need live at the boiler and pump, for water just live at the boiler

regards
    peter

17. Kris82

Kris82 New Member

Hi Kiaora, leave it with me and I'll take a look. Getting access to the loft will take a day or so...which is a pain.

Thanks for your help so far, I'll post an update ASAP.

18. Glad its Friday

Kris, given that you don't know anything at all about heating systems, even if we do manage to pin point the problem for you - you will not be able to carry out the repair. So best advice for you now is to get someone in to sort it out. The longer you leave it the harder it is to get someone before Christmas and the more you'll end up paying...