One perfect song, so many varieties.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Apr 29, 2016.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't forget Bobby Darren in 66,Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Bob Seger,Willie Nelson, & many others have cover this song.

But, I like the Johnny Cash version.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You just want to be me, :cool::cool::cool:

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Talking of songs with different varieties, what do peeps make of this version of The sound of silence.

I think its great, but needs a few listens to appreciate it.

5. Yep, Phil - had every intention of putting Plantie on and it is a superb version, surprisingly respectful to the original (and best) by Hardin with it's tasteful percussion. (That whole album of Plant's is quite nifty too, tho' a lot heavier than 'Carpenter'...).

KIAB, I just don't 'get' Cash at all - too straight-forward 'country' for me. I have tried - I really have. Watched a concert on YouTube of the legendary greats on stage which included K Kristofferson and, I think, Willie N. Now, KK is one dude who takes 'country' to a whole new level - fantastic melodies, sheer lyrical poetry, and superb musicianship. And a voice. Man, what a voice.

Cash? Ok, his 'Hurt' is truly spine-tinglingly awesome - but I cannot think of a single other song he's done that I can actually bear to listen to. That typical happy-go-lucky country beat completely misses the point of these supposedly angst-ridden songs. And I find that's true of his 'Carpenter' version too.

6. Well, any version will be better than the original ;).

Seriously, what an over-rated duo S&G were. I know I know - but it's true.

They are soooooooo rehearsed, sooooooo contrived, soooooooo 'perfect', soooooooo up their own botties...

I find their lyrics to be the most pretentious - not content to be merely poetical or to tell a story - they have to be oh so 'clever'.

Play every guitar or piano note perfectly. Get that harmony ooh so spot-on, or we'll retake retake retake...

It's takes, for example, Yes to make their America a truly great song ;)