One year on and wallpaper lifting at every joint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DS99, Nov 13, 2015.

1. DS99

DS99 New Member

Hi,

I know the issue of wallpaper lifting at the edges has been discussed before. However, I'm not sure that the solutions offered would cure my problem though.

About 18 months ago I stripped back all of the existing wallpaper in our hall, landing and stairs. The paper was scruffy but fixed down ok. I had a decorator fit a quite hefty grade lining paper all over and then paint with matt emulsion. In general, everywhere was fine. A couple of places the edges were lifting but nothing much.

Now, a year or so later, pretty much every seam is now lifting, the full length of the drop. It seems that the paper has shrunk back. Even the razor slits made in the bubbled areas have opened up. Frankly, the whole place looks a mess!

Any ideas what could have caused this and, any ideas on a solution please? Without having to strip the whole lot and start again.

Thanks
    IMG_20151113_131802751.jpg IMG_20151113_132019560.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You ain't going to save that,is that wallpaper painted?

Did the decorator size the walls, before hanging lining paper.

3. DS99

DS99 New Member

Hi,

Yes, the paper is over-painted with a dulux matt emulsion. Not sure whether he prepped the walls before hanging the paper. Presumably he should have run a PVA coat over it all?

What's the solution now? Presumably, over paper again staggering the verticals? Or, I guess strip it all back and start again.

Do you think I'd have a case with the decorator although it is over a year ago?

Thanks.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Where are you located?
    Three things very wrong here.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It's been getting damp, most probably from steam.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not steam HA.

7. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Strip back and have it skimmed by a plasterer then paint when fully dry then don't ever wall paper it again :)

8. DS99

DS99 New Member

Hi,

I am in Gloucester. When you say three things wrong, what did you have in mind?

Could be steam of course but I'd be surprised. The main problem shown in the photos is in the hallway running from front door to kitchen. Mmmm..... perhaps you could be right? Kitchen poorly ventilated, downstairs bathroom, washing hanging over radiators etc

Stripping and re-plastering is an option I guess but we-re talking lots of mess and cost :-( I presume probably a weeks work at best with drying times between etc? Presumably £1k?

Anything else I could do...? Do you think pushing PVA under might work?

9. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Skimming inst as bad as people think just had kitchen done ceiling to hip hight (lower if filled with cupboards so not visible) had window re edged in plasterboard boxing in for stench pipe and 2 big holes patched up 1 from old extractor and 1 from consumer unit and was £250 all in and has taken 4 days to look fully dry but will be leaving for a couple of weeks to paint just in case I'm sure it would be fine but never like to dry it or paint it too fast, PVA won't work but I do put it in my paint for 1st coat on bare plaster, I had my 1st house plastered every room every celing I did most of the prep inc ripping out and reboarding to my plasterers instructions and then he came in made a few minor adjustments and the set to to re skim the whole house took him a full day in a 3 bed semi and costs were 1200 ish but he was recommended by a close friend so got discount but definitely get some quotes, as for mess it's just dusty but not as bad as I was expecting only mess in kitchen was hand prints on tap for water that was it and walls are perfect now :)

KIAB likes this.
  10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I am guessing your problem wasn't with the paper or the prep. My money is on your decorator using a paint or sealer that hasn't let the walls breathe.

As you say in your first post, it was already papered and it had stayed stuck and wall only tatty.

Now with what the decorator has put on the paper, any moisture has then been trapped behind the walls can't find its way out other than the seams.

Do you know what he prepared the walls with and painted it with

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Walls were not sized correctly if at all , paste too weak and not left to soak long enough hence bubbles and probably not left enough time to dry completely prior to applying emulsion.

Better stripping all paper off, sand walls and wash with sugar soap solution let dry and seal with Zinsser 123 then re paper let dry for 2 days at least and apply emulsion.

Sorry I cannot help you as being 200 miles away is tooooooooooooo faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away!

Oh...keep away from the PVA.

Bennjy12345 likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. DS99

DS99 New Member

Thanks for all the replies. Yep, it seems that the decorating wasn't as good as he could've been :-(

Think I've got a bit of a task ahead of me. One for the Xmas hols me thinks.

Many thanks.

DS99

14. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Start again, strip, sand, fill, sand, seal(I would use Gardz), line then paint.