Options for cold water supply in extension

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Thinking ahead here, will be building an extension with utility room and ensuite and want to get the appropriate water services ready for when its built (since they will all come through under the existing bathroom floor). Wondering if I can use a pressure reducing valve this http://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-pressure-reducing-valve-15mm/7978j to avoid the need for yet another cold water supply coming from the c/w tank in the loft:

- Utility room will have a sink; hot water off the existing hot water tank (from vented feed off Warix flange), cold water will be mains fed.
    - Ensuite basin hot same as utility room sink hot
    - Ensuite shower will be new feeds and pumped; hot from dedicated 22mm 'T' off the Warix flange; cold from dedicated 22mm supply from w/c tank in loft
    - Thinking then I could use the pressure reducing valve to feed the basin and toilet cold water from the mains, rather than running another cold water pipe from the loft?

2. Absolutely no reason you cannot have your cold supplies from the mains - in fact that's preferable since good flow is guaranteed and it's also drinkabubble.

The shower - as you've worked out - is best with its own dedicated and pressure-matched supplies, so all good.

The PRV is 'cos the pressure is high? Might not be needed, but no harm in fitting it either.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes exactly DA, mains is going to be higher pressure than from the loft so want to use mains (cos it'll be in that area anyways) but just want to reduce the pressure.

Having said that, mains pressure from my kitchen tap now isn't massive so might not need much of a reduction. No harm in fitting it though...

Just wanted to check I wasn't missing something obvious.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.