Outdoor Light installation

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Greg Tunney, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

Hi everyone,

New to screfix forums and looking for a bit of advice / rough indication on price for a job.

I recently fitted one of these outside lights to my house. This was a simple swap from the outside light that was already there. Drill new holes, wire up and screw to wall.[​IMG]

I have since been thinking about getting another of these outside lights fitted some brickwork on the opposite side of my door (see pic below)

[​IMG]

I was just wondering how much would a job like this cost roughly if it was done by a professional electrician? The outside light is switched just as you walk in the door and is on the same RCD as the downstairs lights.

I know there isn't much to go off but was just wanting to know if it can be done and rough price before i start calling people out for genuine quotes.

Also would it be possible to wire them both together so they come on at the same time when the 1 pir is triggered?

Many thanks in advance.

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi Greg,
    As long as the fitting has a connection (often referred to as "slave" in the instructions) to switch another light, then yes. Do you have a link for the lamp?
    Assuming this is the case, you are going to need a cable from the existing lamp to the other side of the door for your new one. To do this neatly, its going to be from the inside of the house. The cable is only thin, so you could run this in surface mounted trunking or chase the wall out for a non-noticeable finish (after its been skimmed and painted/re-papered of course!)
    As for prices, i would suggest to get two quotes in and post back with what they are.

3. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

4. That might be a rather liberal interpretation of 522.6.101 - cables concealed in walls or partitions.

FatHands likes this.
  5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Yup, safe zones etc on the wrong side of a wall, no accessories in line.

6. FatHands

Evening chaps,
    Agreed! I was making the assumption the switch mentioned in the OP was opposite the lamp, although didn't consider the opposite side for the new lamp. :oops:

7. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

So is it a big no no?

8. FatHands

You need to get some sparks out to have a proper look mate. I assume you don't want conduit on the brickwork, so the cabling will have to be routed inside. There are safe, or rather permitted zones where cables can be installed; basically horizontally, or vertically to an accessory is acceptable when buried in the wall. If you don't mind surface mounted trunking (which can look quite neat) it can be mounted anywhere as its not considered unsafe, because its obvious there is something inside the trunking to anyone wanting to drill a hole in the wall.

Hope this helps, post back with what they plan to do and prices if you want.

9. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

I will do thanks.

I've got someone coming round tomorrow to give a quote.

I'd rather everything hidden if poss. Although none of it will be do-able if the light doesn't have a slave. I tried to find the instructions but couldn't.

10. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

There are ways and means, the big no no is having a cable buried willy nilly in mid wall, ie there are no sockets or switches in line that would indicate that a cable could be there, as you can imagine it could be very dangerous for numerous reasons, obviously without seeing the exact layout it's almost impossible to advise on suggested methods to achieve what you are after, my gut feeling is get a spark round to take a gander, most decent ones will advise/quote for free.
    Rich.

FatHands likes this.
  11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Beat me to it Fats, lol matey.

12. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

Yeah there is no socket or switch on that wall or any other wall backing onto it so the spur would have to be taken from the switch opposite.

13. FatHands

yeah, me too. I would drop an email/call to Screwfix and see if they can dig them out for you. Worst case scenerio, find a matched pair before the work is carried out that offer this.

14. FatHands

That's a first mate! I am normally too slow in answering (or rather more questions) lol :)

15. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

Right I've had an electrician round and we've decided the work involved would be too much hassle for little gain and have decided and alternative may be to put LED downlights in the soffit.

I was thinking if wiring them up to a dusk sensor or timer adjustable timer. Can anybody recommend anything to do this job?

Also how many downlights should I go for?

16. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Fitted quite a few like that, you could also have a timer so that the lights go off at midnight or the like, I usually go for around a 1 meter gap between them, look nice.

17. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

Yeah that's what I've got my eye on. Comes on at dusk then goes off at dawn or after a certain amount of time.

Really can't decide on how far or how many. Do I do one directly above the door and take that as my center mark or do I just go along and do them every meter from left to right.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  18. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

image.jpg Here is the house.

19. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I usually go in around 500mm from each end, measure the gap in between, and aim for 1 meter or so, again, I usually put a bit of insulation tape as a temporary marker to see the effect/spacing before any drilling.
    Just be aware of any roof joists running down that may obstruct your positions, nowt worse than drilling 6 holes then hitting wood with the last!, its all in the prep!, measure twice, if not more, drill once!.
    Rich.

20. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

That's a good idea I'll do that tomorrow.