Outdoor remote lighting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Lee Wallington, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Lee Wallington

Lee Wallington New Member

Hi all, I want to install one, maybe two, spotlights at the bottom of the garden and be able to turn on / off from the house about 30m away.. I've been searching the 'net and can't find any remote spotlights. Do they exist? Is there another recommended way of achieving this as I cant believe I'm the only one wanting this? There's mains power in the garden. Many thanks

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

3. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

4. Aadm B-

Aadm B- New Member

That RS light looks interesting, have you fitted one retiredsparks? I was wondering what the colours are like, rich or a bit weak and washed out?

5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Likely retiredsparks option is the best, however there are loads of systems to remotely switch, I use MiHome Energenie which I will admit has some limitations and is expensive, however with these systems once you have bought the hub it does not make sense to swap, the problem with the systems is finding out exactly what they can do, until you buy one and run it you really don't know. So I will tell you what mine will do, that's all I can do.

With my system there are 6 items in the MiHome range which would remotely switch something on and off, I have three of them.
    1) Double socket, each socket is independent and can be controlled in two ways, through the hub, or with a remote control, you can have three remote controls and the hub all working a single device, it will work with just the remote it does not need the hub, however with the hub you can also set three timers, this was why I bought the device, we has tried timers and a remote control, we had a Lidi remote control which had a TV type remote and 4 plug in units two simple switches and two were dimmers, however because I could not see where the device was located some times it would fail to get switched on again, so with the Energenie it would three times a day auto switch on so if I forgot or did not get a good RF link it would still switch on for the important periods, it was used to switch on an alarm to tell us when mother doing something daft, however to set times you need the hub and wifi in the house. You can do more with IFTTT (If this then that) but requires the internet, you can for example set it to switch on when certain weather conditions are forecast. But without IFTTT you are limited to three timed events per day and you can select which day of the week these will be active for.

2) Light switch, really the same as the socket, except it does not require a neutral, works well with a 10W LED bulb, not tested with anything else.

3) MiHome Adaptor Plus is one of three plug in devices, the MiHome adaptor only switches, and the MiHome Energy Monitor only monitors where the MiHome Adaptor Plus does both, however unlike the double socket and light switch it will not work with the simple remote control, it needs a hub, it still only has three timed on periods and you select which days these are active for, but unlike the other two it also reports if on/off or Unknown the latter is quite often displayed, to be frank rather disappointing, it was mainly got to monitor socket usage, but the computer interface leaves a lot to be desired. I would have expected current, max and min watts and amps but only current is shown. I also expected to be able to use the remote, but that is not the case.

There is also a relay, and multi-plug which I have not tried, and electronic radiator valve heads which I have two of, and motion sensors etc. In the main I went for MiHome because the one hub would do both sockets and central heating so killing two birds with one stone, however I am sure there are better systems. The rub is until you actually buy and set it up you don't really know what it can do. With the hub I can control with smart phone or PC anywhere there is internet access, so could set my alarm some 100's of miles away, although not sure why I would want to?

So although the light switch and remote will do what you ask, unless you want to latter expand the system not really cost effective. The IFTTT means other systems can integrate, Hive and Nest also use IFTTT and likely also do remote sockets of their own, same with lightwave and EvoHome there are loads out there designed to automate your house. From reading reports it would seem each system has pros and cons, EvoHome for example is one of the best to control central heating far better than Hive or Nest, but also has a much higher price tag.

The MiHome Adaptor is sold as a pack with the remote so I would assume the remote works with them? So remote £11 plus Adaptor £28 for pack of three screwfix is showing cheaper but not sure if that's to everyone as I am registered as an electrician. As a kit it shows three adaptors and remote for £20 (5964H) with a hub £76.50 I can't remember what I paid for the lidi set likely less than £20 but no option to expand. So all in all £20 not bad for three remote controlled sockets which can be expanded latter.