Outhouse doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Pete J, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Pete J

Pete J Member

You know the type frameless t & g with a "Z" on the back, can you buy these anywhere or do you have to make them yourself.
    If you make them what's the best type of t & g to use to avoid shrikage / expansion problems(if possible)

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

i just made a couple from wickes t&g pine flooring...

3. Owsy

Owsy New Member

Get mine at Howdens or another local timber yard, £30 odd I think for a framed and braced door - sure, the timber will be cheaper but it's a lot of messing about unless you specifically need a non-standard size.

4. !!

!! Active Member

You mean a ledge brace door, these are very common most diy/trade places sell them.

5. pitched roof help..

pitched roof help.. New Member

i just made one for someone , i used 90mm x 15mm T&G on 4x1 bracings materials cost about 40 quid - this was arched and non standard size. so was easy to make in halth a day

agree with most replies you can obtain them from most places

6. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

We get many orders for ledged & braced gates, so i can offer some help here. Our T&G board supplier send us 20mm thick boards that have had vac-vac treatment to stop them from rotting, and we make enough gates and have no problems 99% of the time. If you're not aware of hanging gates,it would be useful to point out that the braces need to be put in the correct way you wish to put the hinges on. The hinges should go on the side that the braces start from the bottom of the ledge. We usually put our ledges 6 inches from top n bottom, and one dead centre. We also cut the ledges so there is 15mm gap between the end of the gate and the ledge.