Outside lights mess

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Bando, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Bando

Bando Member

Hi got called out over xmas to rcd tripping. Traced to outside post lights down a set of steps. There are 2x 4c swa to each post light coming up through a concrete base. No glands and 60A!!!! connector on the armoured. They have managed to stuff the cables up inside the base but scagged them and there is water in there. Worst part is a EICR was done 6 months ago and nothing recorded!

I need to put this right, i'm either going to need to get the swa out of the concrete to gland into a waterproof box or rewire it. The box would have to sit in the ground as there isnt anywhere to fix it. I could fill with "jelly" cant remember what its called.

Any other suggestions how i could do the joints then wire to each light and comply with regs? I thought about using sy cable but have been told its not suitable for outdoor use.

Attached Files:

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

3. Bando

Bando Member

Thanks, they look just the job but i think the customer is going to have a fit when i show him the price!!! I need at least 7 of them and new switches each end as the boxes have been smashed and swa put in with no glands!!

4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Think the customer will have more of a fit if his electrics kill someone tbh.

FatHands and Bando like this.
  5. FatHands

Just say its the price he should have paid on top of the original job mate. Not your fault someone has made a pigs ear of it! ;)

Bando likes this.
  6. Allybally

Allybally Member

Hi, have you had chance to test the circuits to see if the cabling itself has been damaged with the ends not being made off correctly, I would test it 1st and once you know the cables good re-terminate into a conduit galv box http://www.screwfix.com/p/galvanised-20mm-conduit-box-y/43672, both SWA into the bottom with a flex out of the top with a compression gland, fill it up with Wiska gel as well, makes a real permanent job and should last years

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

This is usually down to a customer choosing **** lights with no room.

sinewave, FatHands and Allybally like this.
  8. FatHands

@Allybally - what connectors would you use inside the galvanised boxes mate?

9. Allybally

Allybally Member

Either wago connectors or crimps depends on the size of cable

FatHands likes this.
  10. FatHands

got ya. guess you could always solder and heatshrink if space was tight

11. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Galv boxes are fairly standard if in a nice sheltered light fitting, the gel is better than the "dog ****" compound which used to get used. There is little else to do, other than jointing the cables in a resin joint, bringing just a single cable up to the light fittings. This does cause issues with fault finding though. If the lights are on a wall, and you can unobtrusively mount a box to joint cables on the wall behind or something, that's the best way.

FatHands likes this.
  12. Bando

Bando Member

Agree with the rubbish light fitting however its still a botch by whoever fitted them and poor work for them not to show up on EICR.