Overflow is it ok?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Darken72, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Darken72

Darken72 New Member

Hi guys in need of advice. Header overflow pipe dripping and access to the tank is difficult.
    The good news is that i intend to have a combi fitted, but not till early next year. If i put shut off valve on cold water feed to the tank , maybe open it once a week. Will this be ok?
    Worried about the overflow freezing in the coming months.

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

No the overflow is a warning systen that someting is not working as it should be. IE ball vale leaking, system pumping over, cylinder coile spilt ETC.
    You can chooose to stick your head in the sand and ignore it. Personally I wouyld have it checked by a plumber and have peace of mind.

Darken72 likes this.
  3. Dave is right - it could be something simple and with little short-term consequence (the ball valve to the header tank is letting-by a wee bit) or it could indicate something more serious which should be investigated.

You say access is difficult - but it certainly can't be impossible, so get up there with a torch and a mirror. Check to see if the ballvalve is dribbling in water even when the tank is full.

If that is what it is, then it's your call. You can take the easy way out and fit your isolating valve to shut off the water supply to the ballcock - and risk things going very pear-shaped if it turns out there are other issues and a lack of water in the tank may cause serious overheating and break down, or you can do the right thing.

Darken72 likes this.
  4. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

If you shut the supply off I guarantee you that the ball valve will freeze solid. I know it's only a year away, but I would either keep a daily eye on it during cold weather ( check the overflow is dripping every day ) or replace the valve.

Darken72 likes this.
  5. Darken72

Darken72 New Member

Thanks dave, D A and second dave. I'll go up this weekend and replace the valve. Pretty sure its that. The header tank is a good metre above the cold water tank and from my understanding that rules out a split coil? The drip is happening with the boiler off, probably wrong but that only leaves the valve right?
    Thanks again guys.