Overflow pipe attached to my bath

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Traynor19, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Traynor19

Traynor19 New Member

Hi can anyone offer any advice?

I have two over flow pipes outside of my bathroom. One attached to my toilet. One attached to my bath pipes (somehow). Last night my kids ran the bath and forgot to put the plug in. It was ran for a considerable time when they remembered. They then put the plug in and I heard water pouring outside, looked outside and it is the pipe attached to the bath (furthest away pipe). I tried various things and discovered it was only happening when the hot tap on the bath was running (not the basin just the bath). There are no leaks anywhere under my bath. I have just ran the bath and all appears fine. I have a tank somehow fitted above my bathroom ceiling that cannot be accessed through my loft. There is an opening in my bathroom where I can access a stopcock to turn cold water off in my bathroom. Hot water comes from my combi boiler.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

You will need to post some pictures from under your bath or trace where this overflow leads to. can't tell you much from that picture.
    The tank that cant be accessed is a worry

3. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

I am interested in this reply..He He

Part of the bath waste pipe ?

Johnny M

4. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I'm probably way off the mark, but I recently had a new combi condensing boiler fitted. I believe that they connected the condense pipe to the bath waste as it was close by. Has the OP got the same set-up & if so could this be condense from the boiler? o_O

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This seems like the most likely cause.

Saw a BG boiler install and the plumbers did the same connection using a clamp kit.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I would look at sorting out the pipe work, too much going on :eek:. If the stack is plastic, then the bath waste can be connected here. WC overflow pipe can be removed by fitting in a built in overflow siphon.

May be able to loose the hopper all together by tapping into the main stack, if its cast iron then best to leave as is.

7. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Hey,I'm a bit chuffed. I know Foxtrot Alfa about plumbing, but I haven't been shot down in flames yet by plumbers! :D:D:D

8. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

This is because plumbing extends beyond human comprehension (no-one can ever claim that they know everything about plumbing):) !

KIAB likes this.
  9. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

It looks like a very old overflow pipe.
    Some old baths actually had them going directly outside connected from the bath overflow

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very true.:)

Even after 30 years, plumbing is the one trade, that still throws up the odd surprises.:eek:

11. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

CrowsfootActive Member
    This is because plumbing extends beyond human comprehension (no-one can ever claim that they know everything about plumbing):) !

Well said " that man"

Johnny M

12. MalcyB

MalcyB Active Member

You're not wrong there
    My plumber came in to re pipe a customers heating pipes, she had a slight leak where they entered the living room area concrete floor. He drained off cut the pipes. Re ran them into the loft, job done. I went in a few days later to do my bit but couldn't put the chipboard floor back down because the old pipes were still dripping!
    Left it 4 weeks and they are still dripping.
    After some investigation only thing we can think of is the hot water pipe to the taps is leaking under the concrete into the heating pipes and out where they have been cut off!

13. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

MMMMMMMMMM thats a two pipe question, says Sherlock Homes.

Johnny M

14. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Holmes even